Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to Bowling

Chats: 32

Default Back to Bowling

I was able to return to the lanes this week. I have been battling knee problems since the end of fall league and finally broke down to see a doctor about a month ago. I have been in physical therapy for the last three weeks and finally felt well enough on it to come back. SO those of you wondering why no scoring post you know why. I developed some issue with the patella tendon in my knee that was causing pain and the knee to lock up.

I did get to throw some shots at a house in Indianapolis while my daughter was bowling Junior Gold there. We bowled on the Kegel Montreal Pattern posted a 135-178-185-211 Felt pretty good with that after a two month layoff. I also bowled in a small tournament Friday night on our way back but it didn't go well at all. Shot 135-145-149-167 lol maybe trying to bowl after 5.5 hour car ride wasn't such a great idea but I'm just happy to be able to throw again at this point. My wife did bowl well missing the cut by only 2 pins.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

As long as your knee didn't cave in on you while bowling and if it's not the size of a basketball, I figure you're doing well. The scores will come back

I actually tried my comeback yesterday. First time I set foot in a local bowling center in 19 years. I switched out finger inserts on my antique Ebonite Turbo X, taped up the thumb hole and thought I was ready. Paid for one game but after 10 practice slides, I just couldn't get a slide, so I walked out without even throwing a ball. Better not to risk a face plant at my age. After 19 years of sitting in my bowling bag, my Linds got deformed a bit where the front part of the heel on the sliding sole was digging into the approach causing me not to slide.

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by ytlas View Post
    As long as your knee didn't cave in on you while bowling and if it's not the size of a basketball, I figure you're doing well. The scores will come back

I actually tried my comeback yesterday. First time I set foot in a local bowling center in 19 years. I switched out finger inserts on my antique Ebonite Turbo X, taped up the thumb hole and thought I was ready. Paid for one game but after 10 practice slides, I just couldn't get a slide, so I walked out without even throwing a ball. Better not to risk a face plant at my age. After 19 years of sitting in my bowling bag, my Linds got deformed a bit where the front part of the heel on the sliding sole was digging into the approach causing me not to slide.
    in addition to looking into rental or new shoes have your ball checked by a PSO. There is no way you have the same span or flexibility that you did in your hand 19 years ago. I was lucky nothing torn but I did kind of have a pop that I was afraid was the knee but turned out to be my Hamstring.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

I've had my own pro shop equipment for nearly 40 years. When I quit the mill jigs were out but they were expensive. I have my Rockwell press, couple Rudell jigs, Kauffman scale, about 100 carbide tipped drills, couple ball spinners, couple ball engravers, even a Luster King ball polisher.

My ring finger differential changed from 7/16 to 5/16, so I basically have a dropped ring finger grip. During Marshall Holman's glory years he used a dropped ring finger grip. I just need to be able to get to the line halfway in time without killing myself. I'd been using a 6 step approach with a pivot step, which gave me a long swing and very late timing so I had maximum leverage at release. From there I can work on the release, find new PAP, then modern equipment
    Last edited by ytlas; 07-25-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Chats: 204

I assumed you died and wrote you a charming and eloquent eulogy. I guess that was a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    I assumed you died and wrote you a charming and eloquent eulogy. I guess that was a waste of time.

You might want to save that for Iceman.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ytlas View Post

I'm with you there, I did 2 faceplants when I came back 4 months ago. that almost made me stop for sure. I am also a wide man and have a bad back so when I fall I can't get up without support. embarrassing to say the least. I bought a shoe slider but that didn't help because I think all my weight is on my heel.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I'm with you there, I did 2 faceplants when I came back 4 months ago. that almost made me stop for sure. I am also a wide man and have a bad back so when I fall I can't get up without support. embarrassing to say the least. I bought a shoe slider but that didn't help because I think all my weight is on my heel.
    I'm 130# lighter now than when I last bowled in November '97. I never thought I'd bowl again so I left my shoes and two balls in a very tight tote bag buried under stuff in a corner of the garage. I guess the heels and soles got a bit deformed. I filed down the front edge of the sliding heel so I'll test it on a piece of plywood to make sure the front edge doesn't dig in.

I believe I'm the same age as you are (61) so face planting would not only be embarrassing but dangerous.

They were still oiling the lanes Sunday morning and I don't know what pattern they were laying down, but there was a group of middle aged guys a few pair over and they were all smashing the pocket

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    You might want to save that for Iceman.
    Isn't that Iceman running for VP with Trump?

Sure he must have had a hair cut, and a lobotomy, but the name is correct.

HA!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast