Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat destroyed a ball...

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I live in a second floor condo it's a PITA to carry the 3 ball bag up and down. but I will be from now on.
    Or rent a locker at alley. Mine is $25/year

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    Like right now there is 10 balls in my trunk
    Whoa that's like having an extra person in the car weighing 140-160+ pounds
    riding around with you at all times.

I've had a couple of my retired balls crack open that were setting in the
    storage room for several years getting hot and cold. if I remember correctly
    both of them were Track balls at least I know one of them was a Track ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 0

Think about how much money you have invested and the pain/cost to replace them and you'd be way ahead of the game by getting them out of the heat.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

I have my 3 ball tote in the trunk at all times and I have never noticed the ball being extremely warm when I take it out of the bag. Every once in a while it is warm but by the time I put my shoes on and do everything else the ball is normal feeling. If any of my balls that are less than 1 year old crack my PSO will replace them.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    Whoa that's like having an extra person in the car weighing 140-160+ pounds
    riding around with you at all times.

I've had a couple of my retired balls crack open that were setting in the
    storage room for several years getting hot and cold. if I remember correctly
    both of them were Track balls at least I know one of them was a Track ball.
    Only balls I have had crack in 15 years were sitting under my bed for about 2 years and cracked all the way around. I have almost always kept my equipment in the trunk. Just a pain loading and unloading every day. Plus no point in taking them out at night since they go right back in, in the morning to sit in the parking lot at work.

I think the bags they are in help. There's a styrofoam(ish) material between the fabric on all the sides. I never notice heat, but when it's colder for the 3-4 days a year I notice that.

Mine are in a temperature-controlled room and then put in the back seat of the car where the temps are maintained. I get to the lanes 45-60 minutes before play so they can acclimate and I can get my stretching in ( I'm old ). Only ball that cracked on me was several years old and on it third drill.
    Still a bummer to see that happen to anyone. Also had a guy, just before his first shot of league play and after 15 minutes of practice, step into a puddle of clear soda with his slide shoe. Luckily he had shoes he could switch out the sole and keep going. I would have had to wear lane rentals. Yuck

Cranker

what I am getting here is that the ball's are ok to get hot as long as they are not used hot. So if they are in the trunk and then brought to the alley and left to get to room temp it is safe.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

It's not good to let them get hot for prolonged amounts of time. Don't know how long it would have taken to get that ball to room temperature. It was really hot when I touched it and it was 20-30 minutes after he started.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    what I am getting here is that the ball's are ok to get hot as long as they are not used hot. So if they are in the trunk and then brought to the alley and left to get to room temp it is safe.
    NO, You shouldn't leave your equipment in a hot car if at all possible.

Going from cold to hot or hot to cold too fast, like from a hot car trunk into a cold bowling alley can stress it. The cooling and heating can be uneven, the outside can cool faster than the core or the outside warmup faster than the core etc.

While you don't want extremes one way or the other, The main thing about temperature is you want to store balls at a constant temperature. It's the fluctuation , the going from back & forth between hot & cold that can stress the balls cover.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Last week I had an appointment with my Chiropractor before bowling league. I knew I would be in the office for about an hour. It was 120º outside. My 4 ball bag came into the office with me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast