Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing 5 Steps to 4?

Default Timing 5 Steps to 4?

Over the last few years I have experienced a great deal of problems with timing at the foul line. I have always used a 5 step approach and know that the critical juncture is your penultimate step.As I get older I find myself out of position at the line either by putting the ball in motion too soon, or not having a good rhythm in my steps.
    I have considered changing to 4 steps, or just work more with practice on my push away, hand position etc. Anybody have any advice?

This post caught my eye, 2 days ago, I switched to a 4 step from 5 steps. It was part of the changes I made to reduce dropping the ball (getting it out on the lane more) and following through.

The 4 step to me, was a big change, it made me feel out of sync, but I kept my backswing low and got the ball out on the lane atleast 8 inch's or more consistently with little focus on it. I do start the ball at my waist or below, but my goal was to keep my backswing short and compacted. I have done this (4 step) for 2 league nights and last night - I noticed frames where I was in sync and felt good coming out of the ball with minimal effort and my track line was much better for a stroker. I still had the tweener circling some, but more than not it was decent.

The first step is the key push the ball cleanly as you step, it's almost like letting your right leg push your ball out for you. It feels funny, as I think you you understand, but try not to focus on the steps, once you take the first step, everything else takes over. We can all easily walk anywhere without counting or feeling out of sync - so why should this be any different.
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

Personally, I find the 4 step much easier to keep in time. A lot of people who change have a hard time with getting the ball in motion right away, they tend to pull the ball toward themselves on the first step, then none of the timing is right. Mats Vilander used to hold it out in front of him to drop it into the swing on his first step.

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

I use a 4 step approach yet I see too many bowlers who seem like they have to run to the foul line where I take more of a steady approach
    Go Broncos!

I also prefer to use a 4 step approach, mainly because it allows me to glide to the line, rather than rush it. Mostly everyone I bowl with uses at least 5 steps, which allows them to generate more ball speed. However, when it comes time to bowl on those freshly oiled lanes, I find myself having a bit off wiggle room to the right of my mark, mainly because I know the ball will come back due to a softer speed. I do also use a 3 step approach, but only when I have to move in front of the ball return.
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature
    I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Did a practice session yesterday. I first worked on my normal 5 step approach and fiddled around with different hand positions and pushaways. I gradually switched to a 4 step approach and it worked pretty well. I found it easier to keep a relaxed swing and only grabbed it at the bottom a few times. my release seemed better. I'm going to go with that for a while and see what happens.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Good Luck with it. Keep us all posted!!!! My 4 step is getting way better after 4 nights. The last night I didn't even think about it, I was doing it like I knew what I was doing. Nice even pend swing and good release. Timing is everything...
    Visionary Bowling Staff Representative &
    Member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Good Luck with it. Keep us all posted!!!! My 4 step is getting way better after 4 nights. The last night I didn't even think about it, I was doing it like I knew what I was doing. Nice even pend swing and good release. Timing is everything...

I agree if I can not think about it the better I am. The more I think about it, the more it takes away from my game.
    Go Broncos!

Well, I have successfully made the transition to 4 steps. I experienced a positive change in my delivery and balance at the line.
    My score wasn't that good (8 splits), but I had 16 strikes in my 3 game series as opposed to 9 or 10. The one thing I stillneed to work on is make a proper pushaway. i found myself on a few occasions pushing the ball too far in front of me. I'm sticking with it though, it seems to take alot of the mechanics out of the situation.
    INFO:Avg. N/A Righty,Stroker,Equipment Roto Grip,Brunswick,Ebonite 15lbs.

Chats: 1

One of the things that John Jowdy preaches is that you imagine a bar about 6" higher than where you start the bar. On your pushaway you push the ball over that bar, and let it drop. It's easy enough to practice at home.
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast