Thread: DO bowling balls die?

Chats: 10

Default DO bowling balls die?

Do bowling balls actually die? I was throwing my Haywire and the pro shop guy mentioned how it was dead. He is a Radical staffer and always talks down Storm products or anything else that's not Brunswick, DV8, or Radical. But I could see what he was saying. The ball wasn't coming back like it used too. I clean the ball after each time I use it, I been using abralon pads prior to league to get it to move. Had the ball from the start of last season.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Have it rejuvenated and depending on how many games, resurface

Surface should be "touched up" after every set when the ball is cleaned. Balls should be resurfaced every 30-50 games (30 for balls with more surface and 50 for balls with less surface). When you see a ball start to die, have it de-oiled at a proshop, of move to Vegas and leave it in the garage for a few hours during the summer. LOL

Chats: 0

The way I was taught to get oil out of a ball is to put it in a bucket of oil dry for 24 hours after stripping all polish off and hitting it with 500 Abralon. Then resurface back to OOB or whatever you want.

Chats: 32

Yes they do and the others gave you a possible solution heavier oil more balls die faster in my opinion. Once I get to 250-500 games it's time for a replacement

They die and they die at different rates, which can make it a bit tough to know exactly when to move on. I have a RotoGrip Hysteria that I've only been throwing for 2 years, probably only 125 games, and I'm basically done with it (mostly my fault, I didn't clean or resurface it when I should have). Prior to that I was throwing a Storm Dimension that I got from my dad. He had probably put about 150 games on it and then I threw it for close to 5 years. I was using it less and less, but I didn't retire it completely until half way through this last season.

Chats: 1

Ya had two balls I liked die on me one super fast, my Dv8 brutal nightmare and my Storm Zero G I put A ton of games on it and changed the surface so many times, I used it as a way to play and learn cover stock changes.

Chats: 221

Maintaining the surface, regular cleanin and de-oiling will greatly improve a balls life cycle
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

I was having real problems carrying with my Storm Crux after owning it for less than a year. I had it resurfaced and kept at it just because I was stubborn and refused to believe that it wasn't "operator error." It paid off, because I eventually bowled a 300 with the Crux not too long after having it resurfaced.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Balls do die. Regular maintenance does help extend the life. Resurfacing does not shorten the life.
    I had a Victory Road that had over 3k games on it when I sold it. I had a Hy-Road die after 120 another that I still have with over 400 games on it.
    It's not hard or too time consuming to get a ball rejuvenated and resurfaced. I only charge $30 for both and most pro shops are competitvely priced.

NEVER EVER REJUVENATE A MOTIV BALL!!! Every one I have done rolled like crap after. Revolt, Shock and Jackal before I realized it was that step those three had in common while the Motiv stuff I only resurfaced continued to work great.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com