Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Grip...

Chats: 4

Quote Originally Posted by ytlas View Post
    When using a ball with a sticky coverstock or odd core, an old trick was to paint the inside of the holes with nail polish, either partially of completely.
    I don't think that would be legal nowadays under USBC rules. I do know you can not put
    anything on the outside of the ball (paint or any kind of marking) that did not come from
    the factory to use in USBC leagues or tournaments.

I would have to think putting nail polish on the inside of the ball would fall under the
    same rule also.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by got_a_300 View Post
    I don't think that would be legal nowadays under USBC rules. I do know you can not put
    anything on the outside of the ball (paint or any kind of marking) that did not come from
    the factory to use in USBC leagues or tournaments.

I would have to think putting nail polish on the inside of the ball would fall under the
    same rule also.
    I can't believe there would be any restrictions on anything like nail polish inside a hole. It's something that helps release a ball, just like the various thumb slugs available.

Chats: 32

I can't believe there would be any restrictions on anything like nail polish inside a hole. It's something that helps release a ball, just like the various thumb slugs available.
    I don't think I've seen anything one way or the other and unless you were talking about it don't think anyone ever would know. The same effect could be had by using finger tape which is most definitely legal.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

While the rules don't specifically mention finger/thumb holes and coating the inside of the holes as described.

There are rules regarding what goes in the holes, you find them in the Equipment and spec. manual. Mainly their in reference to balance holes:

"4. No foreign material may be placed on the outer surface of the ball or in the balance hole, including
    but not limited to paint, marker or whiteout.
    Bowling tape is acceptable in a balance
    hole."

Also if the thumbhole is not used it's classified as a balance hole (Slugs and tape will be allowed, however interchangeable devices are not allowed)

So if you coated the inside of the thumbhole and didn't use it, that would be against the rules. the fingerholes might be kind of a gray area.

If you didn't want use inserts and don't like the feel of the ball material. A better solution would be using finger and thumb slugs, it would be a consistent feel across your equipment and would last longer than nail polish in the hole.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-15-2016 at 02:59 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bubba809 View Post
    Has anybody else heard of converting to no grips to easy the pressure?
    For the most part, the use of inserts is just about feel and personal preference.

Of the bowlers I know that have gone to no inserts, they've done it to help them stop grabbing the ball. They leave the hole edges sharp, so if they grab at the ball during their release that sharp edge cuts into the finger and they learn to stop grabbing and relax their grip.

Also of course the hole doesn't wear out like inserts do (Most bowlers don't replace their inserts as often as they should, which can cause fit problems and they don't realize why.).

The power lift grips add (1/8" to 1/4") forward pitch and a lot of the time they don't get put in right. Because when you change pitches you usually need to adjust span also. Also say you originally get fitted with 1/8" reverse pitch, by sticking in 1/4" lifts. You effectively gone from a 1/8" rev. to 1/8" forward

So if you stick in lifts and don't adjust span, you can add pressure to your grip which will cause you problems.

If you haven't been refitted in years.

Get refit NOW! If you want to use inserts, just use straight ovals, No lifts their not needed today.

I don't think inserts are the cause of your wrist problems, it's more likely just improper fit because of going years without having your grip updated.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 2

How often do you think inserts should be replaced?

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    The standard reply is about every 60 games or about 3 times a year.

Ultimately it depends on how much you bowl (and how much you change which ball you use) and the inserts, some can wear faster than others. Cleaning chemicals, oil, rosin etc. can over time affect them.

If their getting loose, you see then getting deformed, shrinking or the texture is not feeling right, they can get hard etc. then they need to be replaced.

3 times a year would be new grips at the start of the season, then new ones just past half way and then new ones at the start of summer season.

I slide my fingers back and forth a little in the holes, So I can feel the edge lock into the finger crease/joint when I get up there to bowl. That way my fingers are in the same way/depth every time even if they get a little worn.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-15-2016 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Davidjr113 View Post
    Low rev players don't seem to wear them out as easy.
    60 games for low rev players should be sufficient. If you know your size buying grips in bulk with the proper glue (to not void warranty) is inexpensive. Then change one ball at 60 games and monitor that feel versus balls with more games. If you can visually see a difference then you waited way too long.

The 60 game rule of thumb came to be from the recommendation to resurface at 60 games. Just way too easy to change grips at the same time.

High rev players will have to change them sooner. Usually 30-45 games.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12