Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who looks at what on approach to aim?

Chats: 4

I usually pick out which board or boards I want to hit
    at the arrows and then throw at it and then just hope
    for the best.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I have a mental block at looking at anything but the foul line or just plain down. I really don't know what I look at. I know I should be looking at arrows. pins etc. Am I the only only one that aims by where I'm standing and thinking I know where to throw the ball. Anytime I try to look at arrows or pins I feel very disorientated like I'm going to fall or something..
    Similar to others, I tend to target based on conditions/ball reaction. I usually begin at the arrows. But if I need to get the ball farther down the lane moving my eyes further down the lane helps me project the ball further too (without any adjustment to the line I am playing). At times I feel like I lose a little accuracy at the arrows when I look down lane, but it is more important to hit the same breakpoint area than board at the arrows.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

I begin looknig at the middle arrows and then I slowly put my hand down more looking at the foul line the second of release

I play the markings on the approach and the lane. Sometimes a 1/2 Board adjustment on the approach hitting the same arrow can greatly improve your series.

Bowling is a mental sport like archery.

Get a location on where you start , to make proper adjustments throwing over the same arrow on the lane.
    Last edited by Wherearemyballs; 08-23-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

I find my break point down lane prior to staring and as I continue in my approach I follow a line back to the foul line. At the time of release in looking about 2-3 inches past the foul line

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I am trying to at least to get my eye's on the arrows and I am still not comfortable. i am shooting a lot better my last 9 games were all 180's and a 215. but with the way I aim sometimes I am praying for the ball to come back or set. I have a major issue with my right eye and that may have something to do with it...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    I am trying to at least to get my eye's on the arrows and I am still not comfortable. i am shooting a lot better my last 9 games were all 180's and a 215. but with the way I aim sometimes I am praying for the ball to come back or set. I have a major issue with my right eye and that may have something to do with it...
    So you're left eye dominant and bowl right handed? If so, tell Bob and he can help you with your stance. Basically getting your head far enough over the ball using spoine and cervical tilt so your dominant eye is above the middle of the ball.

Every bowler targets a little differently. Some based off science, some from myths generated years ago and some from trial and error. Being able to target different distances is a great tool to have but does take time to get use to. Moving your focal point during the approach usually makes the head move. Again, this is percentage based and there are exceptions. Changing the focal point during approach also opens the bowler up to more visual distractions.

I bowl right handed but am totally blind in my left eye. Right eye injury left that eye 20/50 with glasses. I struggle mightily with left side spares. I know stand one ten and hit ten for a seven pin but it just doesn't LOOK like enough angle to I pull it and hit twelve. Ball goes in left channel. My eye dominance is so strong I see angles to my left differently than angles to my right. I've worked hard to be able to target anywhere on the lanes and use that to adjust when my ball hits the roll phase. The closer to the foul line you look the sooner the ball hits the roll phase and further away the longer to hit the roll phase. I don't know the science behind it as I didn't question the person who suggested it to me. I do know it works for myself and all my tournament bowling clients.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12