Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAP measurements

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Default PAP measurements

Maybe someone can help on this. The PAP is measured from grip center. That is the mid line between fingers and thumb, or the bridge between fingers on the no thumb hole.

My question is if someone that throws the ball without a thumb (but has a thumb drilled) and they had their PAP measured from grip center (fingers to thumb).. Would applying this PAP to a balls that doesn't have a thumb hole effect the layout? This assuming that you map a thumb hole (to get the mid line) but just don't drill it.

Chats: 4

That is a very good question Storm I would have to think it wouldn't
    make a big difference for the layout but I'm probably way off and wrong. LOL!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Super Moderator

Blog Entries

Or to even add on to it, wouldn't the actually PAP remain the same but the measurements to get to it would change.

Let's take me for example. My pap is 4 5/8 over and 1/4 up from grip center (finger/thumb)... If measured from the fingers only wouldn't it be (roughly) 4 5/8 over and 2 1/8 down? This taking into account the difference from the center of fingers/thumb to the center of the bridge

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

As long as your PAP doesn't change (going from using your thumb to not using it), the layout wouldn't change.

Your just changing where you measured your grip from the PAP.

Say you map out a undrilled ball with a 70 x 4.5" x 40 layout, when you go to map out the grip next.

It doesn't matter whether you use the (finger/thumb) grip center or the (Bridge) grip center measurements you had. The finger holes will wind up in the same place and the layout won't change.

Now the grip center affects where you measure static weights from And if you don't drill a thumb hole that will have a bearing on what the drilled layout will ultimately be.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-13-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

Looking at the ball can offer good clues too. When I saw something about the pap with my eyes i did not like in November I changed and my scores have reminded more stable rather than 149 to 217, also i fatigue less

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    Looking at the ball can offer good clues too. When I saw something about the pap with my eyes i did not like in November I changed and my scores have reminded more stable rather than 149 to 217, also i fatigue less
    OK I will bite. How does the PAP affect fatigue?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

I've found two-habders PAPs two different ways. The first bowler had thumb hole drilled and was switching. I measured his PAP the conventional way and subtracted half the span distance to go off the finger holes for future balls. We did this several times as it was a bit of an experiment for me.

The second way I used was recently and just went by the fingers. This kid had a polyester ball with no thumb drilled that he has been using for awhile and wanted to get a reactive resin ball.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Super Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    I've found two-habders PAPs two different ways. The first bowler had thumb hole drilled and was switching. I measured his PAP the conventional way and subtracted half the span distance to go off the finger holes for future balls. We did this several times as it was a bit of an experiment for me.
    If I'm reading this one right, basically you did that to skip the step on future balls of mapping the thumb hole? So when the next ball is drilled you can go down "half the span" then over to PAP from there?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    If I'm reading this one right, basically you did that to skip the step on future balls of mapping the thumb hole? So when the next ball is drilled you can go down "half the span" then over to PAP from there?
    We didn't have knowledge of any other way.So yes, I measured PAP with the thumb hole which includes grip centerline. So for example his PAP was 1"^ with a span of 4". I took half his span (2") and subtracted it from the PAP making it 1"v. If my thought process was correct only the longtitude would be affected as the latitude should remain the same.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

There is no need to measure half the span, P.A.P. is measured from the grip center.

For a thumbless bowler the grip center is between the fingerholes, you would just measure from there as you normally would to find the P.A.P. location.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast