Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any 3 Steppers?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Funny you ask, I met someone a few weeks ago and he told me he was a 3 stepper and he had trouble switching to 4 steps, so he had to switch to 5 steps because that way he still started with the same foot.

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Funny you ask, I met someone a few weeks ago and he told me he was a 3 stepper and he had trouble switching to 4 steps, so he had to switch to 5 steps because that way he still started with the same foot.
    I can relate to this; but not the three step part. When I decided to get more serious into bowling I made a conscious decision to go to a 4 step approach and work on it. But I naturally want to take first steps with my left foot and could never get comfortable and ended up just staying with 5 steps.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

I do the off balanced 3 step and steer the ball with my wrist rather than my off balenced lower body .

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    I like 3, with more steps you get late, with less steps you get early
    I'm afraid you have this reversed: 3 steps by definition will result in late timing unless the ball is already in motion before the steps start.

SandBagger

Your right. we both know what I mean. i'm going to try to move up on the approach a little bit and commit to a quicker 3 step

Why would you do a 3 step, especially as a 2 hander? Where would the power (or "skip") step come into play with only a 3 step approach?

And I would think moving up on the approach will probably lead to even quicker steps making you even later on timing. Just a bit confused on what you are meaning and doing.

SandBagger

Until I average 230 or higher, my footwork can always change!

I have a teammate that uses a 3 step approach, he went to see a coach a couple of years ago and the first thing the coach tried was adjusting to a 4 or 5 step approach.
    He is so used to the 3 step and so obstinate that he never changed or went back to the coach.
    The timing and slow ball speed are quite a hindrance and his average suffers because of it, couple that with his small size and sometimes I wonder if the ball is even going to knock down a pin.....

Banned
    Chats: 68

There are a number of pros who due to a late push away, effectively throw a 3 step approach.

The tale tell sign is while the ball is swinging back, the ball side foot is moving forward.

That causes a torque on the body that makes consistency more difficult.

Both of these bowlers effectively use 3 steps.

Notice when the ball reaches the bottom of the back swing, their weight is on the left foot, and the right foot is moving forward.

Last edited by Mike White; 08-22-2016 at 12:23 PM.

SandBagger

I do 3 steps and am very comfortable with my feet and balanced, I just always get 9 pins!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast