Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok so you are at the ball return, What do you do?

Founder/Owner

Blog Entries
    Chats: 651

Question Ok so you are at the ball return, What do you do?

Ok so your in your weekly bowling league or city tournament...

You grab your bowling ball of choice and then...

Walk us through your set up and drills.

Do you have any weird things you do?

Do you tap your ball?

Maybe you talk to the ball?

Let us in on your game.
    Go Broncos!

Chats: 3

I grab my ball, hold it in my left arm. Play with the air while I wait for people on either side of me to finish....I take a while on the approach so I don't like to make them wait. Slide up to my spot on the approach with my left foot. Sometimes I'll swing my right arm and follow through hitting my shoulder blade. Sometimes I smell my ball....but that's Storms fault for scenting them....lol....Then I go.
    My funnier rituals are before I get to the bowling alley.
    I'll stretch my legs and my arm out....and sometimes I like to play AC/DC's "Big Balls" in the car on the way to the alley.
    I'm a dork lol
    Last edited by Jord_84; 02-10-2009 at 11:48 PM.
    High Game-279
    High Series-733
    Righty, Tweener, I proudly use products from Storm, Etonic, and Robby Revs.

I'm a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Chats: 0

I try to have a pre-sot routine. It goes something like this, pick up the ball and wipe it off with the towel. Hold the left hand over the air for a few seconds. Check both sides to see if they are clear. I step up on the approach move to my space, aligning the right foot with the dot or board I am using. Ball is put in position, elbow tucked in at the side, right hand nearly under and supporting the ball. My eyes are on target and I think ball/foot and begin my approach. As I am walking up I am thinking short-short-then-slide.

I spend little time on the approach. The ball/foot is a reminder to get them out together and the short-short-then-slide is a Ritger drill a friend told me about to keep a consistent tempo. I don't always wipe the ball, but usually do, and I don't always use the air. I don't like to talk to anyone between shots in a frame.
    USBCBronze Coach
    UCLABruin Fan

I am a proud member of BowlingBoards.com Bowling Forums

Lefty - ball speed as measured by Qubica 15 - 16 mph
    High Game: 278 High Series: 716 High Ave: 194
    Current Highs: Ave 165 , Game 268, Series 597
    Current Equipment in use:
    Brunswick - Fury Pearl; Ebonite - GameBreaker, WhirlWind;
    Columbia - Blue Dot
    Other Equipment used sometimes:
    Brunswick - Smokin' Inferno; Ebonite - Bash, Total NV; Hammer - Black Widow; Lane#1 - Viper

Mack Daddy
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 1

Enroute to the center, its either Santana or Buffett for tunes. Stretch out the hand/arm before practice starts. Once at the return, pick up ball, wipe off, hand over blower while waiting for others to finish. Step up on approach, right toe on start board, blow into thumbhole, insert fingers then thumb. Remind self to swing ball out and let it rip....
    There's always one off center in the rack

Info: AVG 206, Stroker, Righty, Gladiator Pearl, Track The Rising, Hammer Rayzr, Storm Virtual Gravity, Storm Reign, PBA Platinum

Wish List-Hammer Jigsaw

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Lets see
    1-pick up ball with towel on bowling hand, so you don't get oil on fingers.
    2-rub slide foot on approach to check that nothing on sole that will make you stick.
    3-think about the shot before getting on approach, once on approach just make the shot.

if bowler on other team is hot ask them if they inhale or exhale when they release the ball just before their next shot.
    watch what happens.

1 - Pick up ball and cradle it in my left hand
    2 - Bounce Black Widow grip sack on my hand several times, then drop it on the ball rack
    3 - Hold hand over air for a few seconds
    4 - Bounce grip sack once or twice more if needed to remove excess moisture
    5 - Clear my head so I don't overthink my next shot
    6 - Line up and let it rip
    Glenn Cox
    Style: Cranker
    Average: 215, High Game: 300 (2), High Series: 772
    Arsenal: Cell (2), Black Widow Bite, No Mercy Beat'n, Cherry Vibe, Anger, Link, Black Widow Solid

Show Your Bowling Love By Adding This In Your Signature

Default pre shot routine

I think everyone has a preshot routine that might have some weird things in it. My self on every pre-shot I pick up my ball,glare down to the pins, rub my slide foot 3x on the approach while I dry my hand, step up to my mark, get my hand position were I want it, then I start humming a song to clear my head of BS.(usually meatloaf, eddie money or pinkfloyd) and then I start my approach. I've done it like that for years and it just gets me in the "zone"

Talking

I guess my routine is the same as most. Hold my ball in my right hand, use my microcloth to wipe off any oil around my finger holes. Walk to my spot, place my left foot on my mark, bring my right foot to the side of my left, half a foot in front. Place my fingers into the holes, blow into the thumb hole then place the thumb. Position the ball on my left side low-mid waist high. Lock my wrist, push out straight down the lane, eyeing my target through my 4 step approach. Keep my swing straight reach for my target, usually 7-8 board, follow through to the target and watch the ball pass over my target to the pocket.
    I've been pretty lucky, I love the Black Widow Venom. I roll relatively a straight ball with few revs, 15.5-16.5 mph. It's been working pretty good thus far.
    I have to keep my thumb at 10-11 o'clock the get the proper roll. My worst fault is occasionally swinging the ball behind my back. A habit I'm trying to break. Good luck.
    Last edited by Bobgpaa; 04-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    Bob from Colo Spgs

I don't have a specific routine that I think about...I just do it.

Step 1. Get up/walk up to ball return
    step 2. make sure no one adjacent to me is on the approach
    step 3. hold hand over air for a moment
    step 4. pick up ball avoiding the oil
    step 5. line toe up on starting board
    step 6. get my breathing in rhythm (if my breathing is off I'm off)
    step 7. do approach and release ball
    step 8. wait on sliding foot for ball to hit the pins
    step 9. return to waiting area (assuming I got a strike)

I also avoid eating while bowling...the grease from fries or a burger much less chips can really goof things up!
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Chats: 19

I wipe the ball off. Then I towel off my bowling ball too....

I just try not to think about anything. I know where my spot is, I clear my mind (sometimes think about a rhetorical question such as what's the sound of one hand clapping? If a tree falls in a forest, does it make a sound?). I carry my ball low, below the waist with relaxed arms (I've always done this, I don't know why....). My first two steps are very slow and deliberate. My teammates like to make fun of me, they say I'm like Elmer Fudd tip toeing up on his prey. The whole time I'm taking those steps, I just stare at the exact spot I want the ball to break at. The steps are faster, and on the final step, I slide on my left foot. After that, I release the ball, and pray....

Quote Originally Posted by ThongPrincess View Post
    I try to have a pre-sot routine. It goes something like this, pick up the ball and wipe it off with the towel. Hold the left hand over the air for a few seconds. Check both sides to see if they are clear. I step up on the approach move to my space, aligning the right foot with the dot or board I am using. Ball is put in position, elbow tucked in at the side, right hand nearly under and supporting the ball. My eyes are on target and I think ball/foot and begin my approach. As I am walking up I am thinking short-short-then-slide.

I spend little time on the approach. The ball/foot is a reminder to get them out together and the short-short-then-slide is a Ritger drill a friend told me about to keep a consistent tempo. I don't always wipe the ball, but usually do, and I don't always use the air. I don't like to talk to anyone between shots in a frame.

RIP It's going to be eerie seeing her posts around here, and sad when her threads are gone.....
    Not helping the situation since 1983.

Bowling Average: 180
    Bowling Handicap: Beer
    Bowling Style: Completely Wheels Off
    Righty / Lefty: Righty
    Bowling Balls: Lane #1 Droid (Strike Ball), Storm Crossroad (Strike Ball. I hate the smell...), Hammer No Mercy (Retired Strike Ball. We had a good run. RIP, old friend!), Ebonite Magnum (Spare Ball), Ebonite Maxim (Spare Ball)
    Best Game: 267
    Best Series: 695 (just 5 more pins... I don't wanna talk about it!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast