Thread: follow thru

Post follow thru

Im looking for a technique to help with with my follow thru. Does anyone have and tips or tricks so I can become more consistent. Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Take a look at this thread for some info that might help.

http://www.bowlingboards.com/showthread.php?t=3186

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Post technique

If by keepiong everything square at the line that will help you play stright up the boards. How do you swing it out? Do you open up your shoulder and face the way you want the boall to go ?

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

I think it's the open shoulder in relation to the body, but square toward the target at release. I don't play the big "impressive" hook, I just put some belly on it as needed, so maybe we need the cranker's perspective here.

I dont throw a very big hook either my problem is when the lanes dry up and I need to get the ball out I cant. I also Have a tendency of being off balance at the foul line. Why is that?

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ltrain21578 View Post
    I dont throw a very big hook either my problem is when the lanes dry up and I need to get the ball out I cant. I also Have a tendency of being off balance at the foul line. Why is that?
    bad balance at the foul line can be caused by a few different things at least in my experience. Timing is the biggest thing, you want to be at the line at the release point, not still sliding, or already stopped. The other thing is if you are trying to wrench on the ball to get more reaction that extra effort can pull your body out of balance.

I dont' thow a huge hook either, but when I want to swing the ball out I more or less just make a very minor adjustment to my follow through and I reach out instead of straight forward. Its not a big move, but its slight enough to make it work. I also envision the shot and can almost draw an imaginary line over my mark and I try to make the ball hit the imaginary line.
    High Game 289 (quite a few)
    High Series 719
    High average 195

HOLIDAY!!! YOU'RE WEARING YOUR STREET SHOES!

Super Moderator

Chats: 246

If you're off balance, MH1313 is right on the money. A lot of times it comes from anxiety and pulling the ball through, rather than allowing your arm to swing. You might try Ron Clifton's "foot-ball" advice. If you say foot-ball normally that's the rhythm you need to be in time. First the foot, then the ball. The foot just stops and the arm comes through right on time next. He explains it on one of his appearances on the Let's Go Bowling show, but I'm not sure which one. You could check my reviews to tell you which of his shows it was.

Something else you can do for dry lanes is to move inside a bit to find the remaining oil and moving your target further down the lane. If you're targeting at the arrows, try targeting a board 5 or 10 feet beyond that. I don't know why it works, but it does. The converse also seems to be true: to have the ball start its motion earlier move your target closer to you. From the arrows to the dots, or boards in front of the arrows.

Experiment a bit and see what works for you. We'll be waiting to hear.

Two things I was taught. One pretend i have a business card under my swinging arm, in the arm pit, and i dont want it to fall out. That keeps the elbow in line and you swing close to your body.

Two, bring the hand up everytime as if talking on the phone. One swinging motion. Release of ball and hand continues up towards ceiling ending at head.

*one other trick while doing this. Put piece of white tape on back of your hand in the middle. If you see that tape when your hand comes up you have turned your hand over too much. Just a note.

Wow thats a great Idea

The tape thing worked for me. I noticed i was turning the hand over too much and so once i quit having that issue i knew my release was ok and worked on my follow through.