Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why don't women do 2 handed?

Chats: 0

The other thought I had was that there are no two handed role models for a very young girl to try to emulate. No pro two handed female bowlers. Maybe there are reasons. I like Belmo's idea though. Lets have the women dominate this sport!!!

Pin Crusher

Could it be that women have wider hips rather than wider shoulders?

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

Deleted- This will be your LAST warning. Next will be a perm ban from the forums.

-StormBowler13
    Last edited by JaxBowlingGuy; 08-22-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    Derp Derp
    Two handed bowling is covered in the Bronze seminar and needed knowledge to pass the test. Comments such as this is why I can say unequivocally you are a fraud and definitely in no uncertain terms not a certified USBC coach! My guess by your posts is your some school age kid trying hard to pretend to be an adult. Usually not a point in this forum but for you I'm making an exception.
    Last edited by JaxBowlingGuy; 08-22-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Removed quote and one line of response. -SB13
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

SMH, just cant have nice things lol
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Bowler

I would think the case for why there are not more two handed bowlers has a lot more to do with emulating what most of us see and are taught than the little bit of air time that 2 handed bowlers have received. WE as in humans,people emulate what we have seen and we have seen far more 1 handed bowlers and there is far more education /coaching towards the 1 handed style. Yes, little kids will try the 2 handed method to get started but once they go to buy a ball they are often taught 1 handed and the ball gets drilled for 1 handed. In the absence or coaching by somebody whom has used the two handed method I do not see nor expect a big change in what we see kids doing and after kids then adults changing. At 60 years old I do not see me making any drastic changes to my game unless its standing t the line to throw my ball.

Quote Originally Posted by jimgilmore View Post
    At 60 years old I do not see me making any drastic changes to my game unless its standing t the line to throw my ball.
    In my mind, I have trouble envisioning the current generation of two handers being able to withstand the physical demands of the style when they reach age 60, or even less. I am not against the style, but I'm not sure it will allow someone like Jason Belmonte to last as long as the PBA50 Tour players who are still competitive on the regular PBA tour. Time will tell I suppose.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

There are a few ways to bowl two handed . I bowl like him and this way is less stressful on the body.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOij1prDhmI

Pin Crusher

That video is 10 yrs. old What does he bowl like now? Looks like the lane takes a beating too.

Chats: 204

This is kinda a new spin on the same old, "2 handers are ruining the sport" debate.

Women ARE physically different than men. The USBC teaches that in their Junior coaching program. Women have certain advantages (such as lesser height on average) and they're usually more graceful and less likely to "muscle" the ball. Women also are usually born with the ability to throw a back-up ball because of slight differences anatomically with men in their arms/elbows/wrists. Women (most) naturally can rotate their palms clockwise from the 6 o'clock position to the 2 o'clock position easily. Most men struggle to get too much past 12 o'clock.

Now, that being said...you WILL see an occasional male that throws a back-up ball. And believe it or not...I had one guy in my old Wednesday league that actually averaged in the 190s throwing that way. If it works...it's all the advantages of being a lefty without actually being a lefty.

There are more 2-handers in youth bowling than in senior bowling. The reason is that nobody who learned to bowl past the age of 7 threw 2-handed. 2-handed bowling was like between the legs bowling...kids did it because kids didn't have the strength in one arm to throw a 7-9lb ball. And since kids didn't really have an "approach"...it was actually harder on them to throw one-handed than a person utilizing the approach. Additionally, nobody at higher levels or ages was throwing 2-handed...so nobody wanted to be the first. Everyone in college and the pros threw variations of the traditional, optimal style...and thats what kids ended up learning.

Seeing women bowl 2-handed is hampered by the mathematics (few women sport bowl compared to men) and by age. While male boys get much stronger as they age...a woman's body transitions to being a mother. Hips get wider (which interferes with the swing plane). And once they carry, give birth to, and care for children...thats a weakening experience...especially for their backs.

2-handed bowling has some advantages in power and carry. Just like throwing 16lb equipment tends to have those same advantages for traditional bowlers. Another weakness in women's bowling (with some noteable exceptions) is their tendency to throw bowling balls in the 9lb-15lb weight range...where as men tend to throw 14-16lb equipment. Like 2-handed bowling, there ARE trade-offs to using heavier equipment:

1) Rev Rate
    2) Stress on the back
    and for 2-handed bowling there is also:
    3) Spare shooting usually suffers
    4) Consistency (like palm and thumbless bowlers) tends to suffer
    5) They are much more dependent on arsenals and conditions.

Two-Handed bowling allows you to negate #1...the same way a bowler bowling with 16lb equipment can get much more revs when they drop to 14 or 15 pound equipment. Two-handed bowling isn't original or exclusive here though...many bowlers have tried to cheat their way to higher rev rates by dropping weight, removing their thumb from the hole, and/or palming the ball.

2) Most bowlers will eventually suffer a knee injury of some kind. Bowling is also tough on your ankles, elbows, shoulders, wrist, and back. If done in moderation and the athlete keeps themselves in good physical shape...maybe you survive a career with just minor knee issues. 2-handed bowling relieves stress on most (if not all) of those joints....BUT....it adds up all that abuse...spares the other joints...and deposits it directly on your back...which is why I've contended that Belmo will never surpass bowling greats like Anthony, WRW, Bohn, Weber, Duke, etc... Belmo's back won't be able to survive a lengthy career. And once the back goes...2-handed bowling becomes impossible. You will see 2-handers LEARNING to bowl 1-handed for the PBA50 in the future...because their backs can't handle 2-handed bowling.

3) Yes, the top 30 2-handed bowlers are excellent > 93% single-pin spare shooters. Absolutely. But MOST aren't. Some even throw 1-handed at spares for that very reason.

4) The biggest disadvantage a bowler has...when that bowler is putting undue effort into their swing...is that it's nearly impossible to do it consistently...and your body tends to tire quickly. I've watched palm bowlers bowl a 279 in Game 1, then a 152 in Game 3. It takes much better stamina and much better physical shape...to put THAT much effort into your swing...especially by the 25th-45th swing.

5) If the conditions are short and/or dry...their toast. They need a LOT of weak equipment...a variety of weak equipment...and a much better grasp of the pattern. Their entire style is dependent on hitting at 8-board area 45-50ft away. If that area moves...or becomes bigger or closer....toast.

So why do we have 2-handed bowling? Well, for the same reason we have backwards bowling (a player walks in reverse towards the foul line) and between the legs bowling. They are easier when you are 4-7 years old. Most eventually learn that you can bowl much better 1-handed...if you actually LEARN how to bowl. Some say, "Nope...I like throwing it this way." Most (99.99997%), eventually realize how hard 2-handed bowling is...and switch as they get serious about bowling. A few move on...until Belmo...most switched LOOONG before they got to college/pros. Now many bowlers are seeing Belmo's success and thinking 2-handed is a short cut to bowling dominance. In all my anti-2 handed bowling rants....I've repeated...it's NOT! It's NOT a short cut. It's a LONG LONG road...where you have to be in better shape...and work 3-4x as hard at spares and consistency than a 1-handed bowler...and ultimately...at some point in your career...you will have to switch to 1-handed bowling. Belmo and Wesley Low, and Kyle Troup make it look easy...it is NOT easy. Striking may be easier...."area bowling" may be easier...300 games may come easier. But a consistent high average, solid spare shooting, and winning torunaments...I think it's harder as a 2-hander. And most I've competed against...they get destroyed in brackets...because by Game 3 they can only throw a 160 game with very little handicap. I HATE getting paired up against them in the First Game bracket...because when they're fresh...they're throwing pins everywhere. But, I love getting them in Game 3....they're sweating and panting and holding their back...smiling and joking because they had two huge games...then 1st frame...4-6-7-9-10 split. And thats when I smile.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 175; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.7mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast