Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bowl1820 2016-2017 Scores

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Default Bowl1820 2016-2017 Scores

Organizational meeting

Well we had our organizational meeting tonight, so the season begins!

Looks to be a full house again and I have my whole team back.

We started with the local Assoc. telling us the card fee was still $18 this year, but it will go up next year to $21.

The house made their usually announcements about the services and rewards they provide. Like the Playpass which for $21.95 gives you unlimited open bowling.

The meeting went well only a couple of nitpicky items had to be discussed, Like entering averages for new bowlers and pre-bowling.

League fees stayed the same, handicap is still 90% of 230 for individual and 90% of team difference for teams and use the 7 point scoring system.

My team is looking forward to starting and giving it a strong go this year.

Well bowling begins next week, we just got to keep focused and score well.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 01

A lackluster start 182-152-156 for a 490. But I was using 2 new balls with a new grip and was trying out a new wrist brace..

The new grip felt pretty good, except the grips in my spare ball were tight. I believe that's because they got in a bind when put in, I have to pull them and reinsert them see if that fixes it.

The Paranoia I think needs a little surface, the OOB is a bit too shiny.

We also had a few technical glitches, it was storming and we lost power several times. Then in the middle of the third game our lanes broke down for 20 minutes.

Plus my 4th bowler wasn't there, he had work done on his foot and is going to be out for a few weeks.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    A lackluster start 182-152-156 for a 490. But I was using 2 new balls with a new grip and was trying out a new wrist brace..

The new grip felt pretty good, except the grips in my spare ball were tight. I believe that's because they got in a bind when put in, I have to pull them and reinsert them see if that fixes it.

The Paranoia I think needs a little surface, the OOB is a bit too shiny.

We also had a few technical glitches, it was storming and we lost power several times. Then in the middle of the third game our lanes broke down for 20 minutes.

Plus my 4th bowler wasn't there, he had work done on his foot and is going to be out for a few weeks.

Oh well you'll start with a good handicap at least. I hate it when I have one of those nights where I can't strike and I'm missing spares. I can put up ok numbers as long as I can do one or the other but if both are out it's going to be a stinker
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 2

Very disappointing night, is it my fault? Sure probably. I only brought 2 balls my Paranoia and the White Dot.

There was basically no head oil tonight, the only oil coming back on the ball was a few spots on the last few flare rings which would be oil from the end of the pattern.

I was standing 35 and playing 3rd to 4th arrow and I couldn't hardly keep it right. Well next week I'll bring the urethane.

Of course the guys with speed and revs did okay. I couldn't generate enough speed to help, I changed tilt but the ball was way too early still.

My thoughts are they cut back on the headoil and maybe bumped up the oil on the end of the pattern. In a attempt to make the pattern hold up longer (which some house have tried), but that doesn't work.

That or the machine needs maintenance, which has happened before when they wore out the buffer brush and didn't replace it until the Assoc. got on them cause the shot got so bad. Since I've got a low average now, some figure that means I don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh well next week here's hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Very disappointing night, is it my fault? Sure probably. I only brought 2 balls my Paranoia and the White Dot.

There was basically no head oil tonight, the only oil coming back on the ball was a few spots on the last few flare rings which would be oil from the end of the pattern.

I was standing 35 and playing 3rd to 4th arrow and I couldn't hardly keep it right. Well next week I'll bring the urethane.

Of course the guys with speed and revs did okay. I couldn't generate enough speed to help, I changed tilt but the ball was way too early still.

My thoughts are they cut back on the headoil and maybe bumped up the oil on the end of the pattern. In a attempt to make the pattern hold up longer (which some house have tried), but that doesn't work.

That or the machine needs maintenance, which has happened before when they wore out the buffer brush and didn't replace it until the Assoc. got on them cause the shot got so bad. Since I've got a low average now, some figure that means I don't know what I'm talking about.

Oh well next week here's hoping.

I'm pretty sure those of us that have been here for a while will still believe that you know what you're talking about. If they are going to be oiling like that your going to have to pick up a different ball. That paranoia is long and super hard back to the pocket anyway if it's hooking early your just done.

Current arsenal

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I'm pretty sure those of us that have been here for a while will still believe that you know what you're talking about. If they are going to be oiling like that your going to have to pick up a different ball. That paranoia is long and super hard back to the pocket anyway if it's hooking early your just done.

After a few more comments on the league facebook page, I posted the below rant.

Yes, I need to really work on some changes. The conditions here have really got to where you need speed and revs. Considering how many seniors there are on this league, you wouldn't think it would be that way.

The bowlers here break down into a about 3 groups the high ave. speed&rev bowlers, the real low ave bowlers and the mid-level bowlers.

The conditions are good for the rev guys and they don't really affect the lower averages. The mid level (stroker type bowlers) like myself at the ones that seem to being struggling a lot. Especially if the lanes are dry or break down real fast (which I've heard many others say and complain about so I know I'm not the only one).

We can't over come the lanes with just speed and revs and we have more ball than the lower averages so the condition changes affect us more IMO.

I know I usually bowl better on the oily conditions or at least my average doesn't plunge like it does on dryer ones. The fun thing then is watching the speed&rev guys struggling until they can break down the shot on the oil.

Maybe that's the problem I complained about not enough oil and somebody was worried they might actually up it. (Not that that's is going to happen)

I guess I just got to work on it harder.

Facebook RANT:
    "Of course complaining on social media, wouldn't change anything. I never for one minute thought it would. But it is a forum for expressing opinions (good or bad) which I did.

Yes, I have a entering ave. of 177 this season, after 2 weeks of bowling it's now down to 156. (But I have in th past finished seasons with over a 200 ave. though)

Yes, things like a different ball, hand positions, speed, are good adjustments that can be made and that I know about.

You can also make adjustments to lane play. For example I moved my feet 10-12 boards left and moved inside playing just past 3rd arrow. Which would be fine towards the end of the series, But on a fresh THS you shouldn't have to be starting the night that deep (unless that is what your style requires).

There's also surface changes, which is a under utilized adjustment by many in bowling today. There are too many bowlers today that think the O.O.B. (Out of Box) surface is the only one you should use.

And more practice is good regardless of what average a bowler has.

Yes some of my problems are of my own making. Like I started this season with a newly updated grip, which had a major change in span do to some flexibility changes in my hand.

Also I limited myself to only 2 balls a new Motiv Paranoia and a spare ball. Because I wanted to see just how the Paranoia (Being a medium oil pearl) reacted throughout the night.

Considering how the ball reacted, (it wasn't getting enough push past the end on the pattern). Checking the ball the first few flare rings were not showing any oil (Regardless of how much of sponge a ball is you should still be able to see some oil when it first comes back.).

The only place there was even a little oil showing on the ball was on the last couple of oil flare rings (which would be from the end of the pattern oil) before the dry flare rings.

That usually indicates the head oil has been depleted or there is very little to begin with. Thus my observation.

What caused this condition I can't say, if the other lanes were different. That might indicate something with the machine (which has happened before like when they didn't replace the wore out buffer brush or when it over oiled one end of the house and everyone on those lanes went nuts and they had to reoil them.)

Yes I have a low average, but I'm still entitled to a opinion. You can agree with it or not.

But just because a bowlers average is considered low doesn't mean they can't have a valid view point or don't have the right to a opinion on conditions at least on the lanes they are bowling on, (just because someone has a good/bad shot on their lanes doesn't mean all the lanes are exactly the same).

Just as having a 200+ ave. doesn't mean a bowler is highly skilled and the only ones that can comment on said conditions."

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Week 03

Well a somewhat better night.

I started out feeling better about my last week assessment of the conditions, another bowler stopped to tell me he read & agreed with what I said. (he has a 200+ ave and has bowled PBA so I figure he's qualified to give a opinion) He said he's told them (Owner/Manager) the same thing before, their not really putting out enough headoil. That not everyone can throw speed and revs to overcome it.

Tonight wasn't much different as far as the conditions were concerned, but I was better prepared. I had adjusted the surface on the Paranoia, with a wore 2000 pad and then polished it. Also I brought my other equipment (Dude and my old Pyro) but I got to get the grips changed though, it would have been difficult to use effectively with the old grip. The Paranoia held up through the night though and I stuck with it.

I started out standing farther left than I would normally start, targeted down lane at the breakpoint and made sure to release toward the pins with a bit of loft. The Paranoia is surprising strong, But I also think with the new grip how can I put this - My release works more effectively, maybe it has to do with the PAP change too (I don't think I phrased that right but I'll go with it.).

The thing to see is how it goes next week, I'll have a butt load of handicap!. If I bowl good maybe I can change from a low average bowler to dirty sandbagger.

Nice set especially after struggling Bowl

Current arsenal

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Nice set especially after struggling Bowl
    Thanks, the worst part was the end of that 2nd game. It didn't feel right coming off my hand, that and I hit my leg on that gutter ball. I figured out from the spare on that, that I had turned my hand some and wasn't bringing my hand through the ball right.

The last three frames of each game, I think I started trying too hard.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default week 4-5

Well two more weeks of garbage, Still trying to figure the problem out. Yes they could have some more head oil, But I think the fact that I got a new grip, is letting me put more on the ball with the same release I was using than I had been getting and it's throwing me off. Plus I haven't been able to get my other balls grips updated yet to have something to switch off too. The old grip feels so big now it's hard to hold.

week 04

week 05

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast