Thread: From Australia

Default From Australia

My name is Sandy (male version). I have been bowling on and off for the last 20 years. I finally decided to try a new bowling ball with a reactive cover stock. I bowled that sucker down the lane, and it went straight as a die, try and try as I might it would not hook. then someone asked what speed I bowled at, I said 27 to 28 kms per hour, their statement was thats way too fast.
    Do you know how hard it is to slow your ball speed 10 kms an hour. Well anyway after a lot of perseverance I did it, do you know the joy of getting a huge hook as it sails down the lane.
    Unfortunately it went into the gutter, but it did hook.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    My name is Sandy (male version). I have been bowling on and off for the last 20 years. I finally decided to try a new bowling ball with a reactive cover stock. I bowled that sucker down the lane, and it went straight as a die, try and try as I might it would not hook. then someone asked what speed I bowled at, I said 27 to 28 kms per hour, their statement was thats way too fast.
    Do you know how hard it is to slow your ball speed 10 kms an hour. Well anyway after a lot of perseverance I did it, do you know the joy of getting a huge hook as it sails down the lane.
    Unfortunately it went into the gutter, but it did hook.
    Hi Sandy and welcome to the boards!

27-28 Kph is only about 16-17 Mph that's not too fast, That's about the average ball speed most places.

10Kph is only a little over 6 mph, That's way too slow. That's like little kid speed.

More likely you just weren't releasing the ball properly to get more of a hook. If you can look into getting some basic coaching to help get you started off right.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Perhaps the spped indicators are wrong or I read them wrong. It put my ball speed at 28 to 29 with my plastic ball. Now that I have a reactive ball I have to slow my speed down to about 20 to 22. I Australia we use kms not mph, but perhap the speed indicator is in mph.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    I Australia we use kms not mph, but perhap the speed indicator is in mph.

I wasn't saying you read it wrong or that the speed indicators were in Mph.

I just said that 27-28 Kph (kilometers per hour) converts to 16-17 Mph here and that speed is about the average ball speed at the pins most places. So your ball speed sounds about normal.

I wouldn't particularly slow it down, just to get the ball to hook. Work on developing a stronger release and where your playing the lane.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-22-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker