Thread: Adjusting for weight loss?

Chats: 0

Default Adjusting for weight loss?

Hmmm. This is an old thread but maybe you have information I could use. I am female and recently lost about 10 lbs. Have been bowling with a 15# ball for the past 20 odd years and now find that possibly this is to much for my lower weight. I can see that the forward momentum is greater and I have to start my approach further back to avoid having a problem at the foul line. My body mechanics seem to be all out of kilter. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-19-2016 at 05:47 PM. Reason: post was moved from outdated thread

Default Adjusting for weight loss?

Any hints anyone has on making adjustments for weight loss? I think I may need to go to a lighter ball. Don't get me wrong, I am by no means svelte (yet) but I have lost 10 lbs. Have been bowling with a 15# ball for these past 20 years and now I think it may be too much. I am female, 5'3" and currently weigh 150. Trying to loose even more so not sure what to do here. However, I do find that with a 15# I seem to have more forward momentum and I am not totally balanced at the foul line. So, I have been bringing my back foot up to give me a steadier base. If I am not careful that movement will cause a foul. Will switching to a lighter ball be the answer?

Current ball 215# RotoGrip Unhinged and TZone for right side spares. Average is 170
    Last edited by bowl1820; 08-19-2016 at 05:48 PM. Reason: post was merged with this one

Cranker

I gained 120 lbs in 3 years. I need to get some off. bad back and legs makes it hard to walk it off. i really don't believe in the miracle pill. i tried Lipozene for a few month that didn't work, right now I am on no carbs.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 4

Sounds to me that maybe your timing is off a little causing you
    to have too much forward momentum. Back years ago I lost
    over 60 pounds and I was still using a 16 pound ball after the
    weight loss so it didn't affect me that much on my timing.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Cranker

all these people losing weight, give me some hints...lol. I am 5'7" at 280+ really hard to get timing. i take the shortest 5 step approach you ever seen!
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

It might be worth checking your fit before dropping ball weight. I lost 25 lbs since last season and found that my span and sizes for thumbs/inserts all changed to an extent - the thumb size being the biggest difference. If your fit is poor the ball will feel heavier. That all being said, I don't know any women of your size that bowl at 15lbs - most seem to go for 14 (league bowlers anyways).
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

As long as there aren't any physical limitations there is no reason a grown adult can't use 15 pound equipment. I don't have a single athlete under 14 years old who doesn't use 15 pound balls with the exception of a few seniors with physical limitations.

Ball fit was mentioned above which is common with weight changes and aging. The change in weight can affect timing to what extent varies person to person. Definitely sounds like this is the combination you are currently facing.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    all these people losing weight, give me some hints...lol. I am 5'7" at 280+ really hard to get timing. i take the shortest 5 step approach you ever seen!
    Low carb, high potein diet combined with an ergonomically designed exercise back. These put less pressure on the joints which are already stressed by the added weight. Once you start to lose a little see a certified personal trainer who can help get you started on a weight program. Utilizing light weights, higher repetitions with short rest periods aides the cardiovascular system while limiting muscle atrophy. It also increases thermogenics, the body's way of controlling your metalbolism, meaning more calories burned at rest.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

I feel that bowlers who have lost weight should resist the temptation to run out and buy a new ball or have their old one plugged and redrilled. Learn how to adjust the fit of the holes by using tape because most people who lose weight usually regain it. If you can maintain the weight loss, then go out and get that new ball.

I feel that one of the most important parts of losing weight is to have a maintenance program in place even before the diet ends.

A recent published study of the Biggest Loser Season 8 contestants showed that nearly all of them had developed fouled up metabolisms after their Biggest Loser experience. All but one had regained a substantial amount of the weight they lost on the show.

I lost a substantial amount of weight twice long ago and it came back. I changed the way I ate and it unknowingly sped up my metabolism and I lost 130# over 11 years. I've held my weight loss for over 7 years. (I weigh 210# at age 61)

Blog Entries

Proper diet, nutrition and exercise IS a LIFESTYLE. The biggest thing I see screw up results in the "cheat day". Yes, the cheat meal usually turns into a day of cheating ruining a weeks worth of work.
    Shows like the Biggest Loser work because all temptation and all of life's distractions are taken away. Finding a way to do it while still living a happy, productive life is key. Also learning to disregard the government's latest food pyramid/pie chart of object of the year can help vastly. The carb, protein to fat ratio for an active person in reasonable shape versus an active person out of shape is dramatically different. Another issue is when we eat certain foods rather than if we eat them. Take pasta. Good source of complex carbs. Takes the body 4-6 hours for the carbs to be processed. Perfect for the morning with a high intensity activity in the afternoon. Most in this country eat this in the evening though. Most of us have no need for these carbs while sleeping so they synthesize and the body stores it as fat. Fat is a great energy source but unfortuantely the body doesn't utilize fat stores until carb depletion occurs.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member