Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bowling Ball Track

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

If you're inside the ball in the backswing, meaning hand is more between your body and the ball then the ideal release is behind the ball. The wrist breaking too early can be an issue. My big question is this: were your balls drilled off your PAP (positive axis point)? Some shops will use a generic layout not taking the PAP into consideration. For example if your PAP is 5"> and 1"^ then the generic layout will move the track 1" closer to the hole because the old sheet generic layouts were based off a PAP of 4">
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wherearemyballs View Post
    How do you get slightly, Don't go crazy with wrist position and chicken winging confused? 12 to 12:30 , not 3:00

He's rolling on the thumb hole. And probably turning his thumb inside on the backswing. He will get better tilt and lift if he is aware of his thumb at release. Its not rocket science.

He wont lift much better, if any. But getting off of the thumb will deliver more energy to the pins.

Saving my sarcasm for a Gold Certified coach. I do believe in not coaching your own family who ignores you most of the time anyway. I also believe I said , don't go crazy. If this wont work , then look into altering the ball.

Anyone care to comment on who made good money doing it wrong?
    When you state outside wrist rotation in the backswing which way are you facing the wrist? Semantics may be our issue as here and above you said how he is probably turning his thumb in (which is towards the body) yet above advocated turing the wrist in. Which to me says get the ball between the body and wrist. Of course I'm using the palm side of the wrist and maybe you're referring to the back side of the wrist?
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    When you state outside wrist rotation in the backswing which way are you facing the wrist? Semantics may be our issue as here and above you said how he is probably turning his thumb in (which is towards the body) yet above advocated turing the wrist in. Which to me says get the ball between the body and wrist. Of course I'm using the palm side of the wrist and maybe you're referring to the back side of the wrist?
    When I said don't go crazy. I meant not to turn the inside of the wrist to the outside on the backswing. I meant to keep the wrist facing forward.

I have tried about every wrist rotation and position at one time or another. And over time have decided to play in the middle of my range of motion , with a pinky tuck to help revs. And a broken wrist spare shot.

I have seen others turn to the inside and still produce a semi roller. Their personal ability to lift and flip the ball was stronger than mine ever was.

When I had my ball drilled , I saw the steps taken today are much more detailed than anything I ever had drilled before. I know what I meant to advise, and could have used better wording.

The strangest release I ever saw was an older man who cranked his hand around the front of the ball ,Flipping it for a slow spinning motion that knocked pins low and flat to tumble the others down. I wish I had a video.
    Learn the lines, but keep it fun. Bowling is mostly a mental sport, so aim.

My Spare ball I get the track over the thumb, I can sometimes hear it go thump thump. My strike balls, I never have that, it is really close, about 1/2 inch from the thumb hole and 1/2" finger holes is as close as it gets...

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by okfoz View Post
    My Spare ball I get the track over the thumb, I can sometimes hear it go thump thump. My strike balls, I never have that, it is really close, about 1/2 inch from the thumb hole and 1/2" finger holes is as close as it gets...
    Wouldn't worry so much about a spare ball. I hear spare balls go over the thumb fairly often just based on people flattening out their wrist and going straight

Blog Entries

Plus I've yet to see a spare ball drilled to the bowler's PAP. It's one reason they are usually cheaper to drill.
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Key Bowling Staff Member

IBPSIA member

Super Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    Plus I've yet to see a spare ball drilled to the bowler's PAP. It's one reason they are usually cheaper to drill.
    It's either mine or my doubles partner spare ball has the CG marking on top of the pin so no chance at any real drilling really lol it's just in her COG

Super Moderator

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    It's either mine or my doubles partner spare ball has the CG marking on top of the pin so no chance at any real drilling really lol it's just in her COG
    His** on mobile so can't edit

Chats: 204

I don't really understand the question.

If you are tracking over your thumb, you are releasing the ball incorrectly. You are either throwing a straight ball end over end...or you're trying to gain backend movement by increasing you axis rotation in a 90-degree tilt.

So before answering any question like this...you have to understand the bowler. Is it a he/she (I'm gonna assume "he")? Is he in good health? Do all of his joints work properly? There may be a physical constraint...or an age consideration that is keeping him from delivering/releasing the ball properly.

If he's in good health...why is the release 'off'...fix the problem...no more track over the thumb hole.

I sometimes will track over the thumb/finger holes on a spare shot...if my release is messed up. And I often track over the thumb-hole on a back-up ball shot...but that makes sense...I'm essentially throwing a half *** left-handed shot with a ball drilled for and delivered by a right-hander.
    In Bag: (: .) 900 Global Zen Master; (: .) Brunswick Perfect Mindset; (: .) Brunswick Endeavor; (: .) Radical Outer Limits Pearl; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 196; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 14.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 185

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by SAbowler View Post
    First of all, thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    Do all of them track over the thumb or just that one? If just that one of look into the layout and consider that when having the next ball drilled.

No, only the first and second rings go over the thumb.

I know this post was from a couple of weeks ago so it may been resolved, however it appears that Stormbowler13 is asking " Does it track over the thumb on all of your balls or on just the one ball"
    Probably a pretty good question to answer, with the resulting conclusions being if it happens on only one ball and it's a strike ball, then it's probably the drilling that should be checked and compared with other balls, or if the one ball is a spare ball, then this is fairly common and nothing needs to be done, many people do this.
    On the other hand if it happens with several strike balls, then those issues are addressed with most of the answers and suggestions, there are some people that track close or over the thumb with certain drill patterns, the best course would probably be correction of any form causing the problem and/or not using a drilling pattern that causes that to happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12