Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 pins

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default 10 pins

Does mph have an impact on leaving 10's? I only throw like 12 mph but with decent revs and a nice hook. If I am 2 boards light I cannot cannot carry the 10 weather off the wall or a messenger. Anything I can do? This is with my Track Heat. I will start throwing my Storm Phaze tomorrow, I know the Phaze is a stronger ball but I will still be at 12 mph or so.

Biggest issue is that it's like a split to me, until I get a spare ball I make maybe 40% of them...lol

lv
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 32

From what I can tell pin carry in general is dependent on energy at the pins and angle of entry. I do seem to leave more when I'm throwing weaker cored balls than I do with my stronger stuff differential wise they may just be in my imagination but I'm starting to really believe it. As lower speed bowler like me if somethings a little off it effects us more, we don't get those pins bouncing off the walls or rolling across the lane near as often.

The best suggestion I have found is to try to change my line a little try tightening it up playing more directly and going to ball that has a higher rg and gets down the lane a little farther sometimes help me.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

SandBagger

Are you able to see the pin action(6 pin) when you leave a 10? I am working on this as it tells the type of reaction your ball is having. The two types are 6 pin flying around(strong hit sharp angle) the 10 or 6 pin lying(weak finish ) in the gutter.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckR View Post
    Are you able to see the pin action(6 pin) when you leave a 10? I am working on this as it tells the type of reaction your ball is having. The two types are 6 pin flying around(strong hit sharp angle) the 10 or 6 pin lying(weak finish ) in the gutter.
    since they are lighter hit's I'd say in the gutter, yet some seem to be strong hits when I'm suprised that's it's standing, hard to tell. I'm hoping my Phaze will carry a few more, let you know tomorrow..lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

A great, great majority of ten pins left by league bowlers are weak tens, not ringing 10's. At 12 mph you don't need a more aggressive ball, it will only lose more energy and leave eight pins along with the ten pins. At 12 mph, you need a less aggressive ball to retain more energy to carry the ten.

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

7I leave alot of spares and the 10 pin is not a common spare for me. There are many nights i get 25 spares.

Bowler

to be truly honest the real answer is yes and NO....
    A ball correctly thrown into the pocket will carry the 10 pin ,100% of the time. that is the yes.....
    There are many factor that can make a strike on a less than Perfect shot . Take the brooklyn or jersey hit, No way you can say it is in the pocket. Yet it strikes. While many bowlers will swear they are hitting in the pocket a camera from above will show that the truly are not in the pocket. Neat the pocket yes, But hitting the 1 into th 2- and the 2 hitting the 4 and the 4 hitting the 7 is what a true perfect strike is and at the same time the ball hits the 3 pin into the 6 pin and the 6 pin hits the 10 pin. But some time more speed will result in more action . So the weak 6 dosen't lay down in the gutter but jumps onto the pin deck and hits the 10 pin. But keep in mind I say that these are less than perfect hits on the pocket. If you see that your leaving a 10 because the 6 is passing in front of the 10 pin you should be adjusting to make the ball come in a certain way.
    Conversely you make the opposite adjustment if your having the 6 pin go behind the 10 pin .
    Last edited by jimgilmore; 08-23-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    7I leave alot of spares and the 10 pin is not a common spare for me. There are many nights i get 25 spares.
    30 frames and leaving 25 possible spares??

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

yes but most spares are easy single pins or the 2 pins on the side

My own experience has shown, that, if the 10 pin is standing, the ball is deflecting too much off of the head pin which is going to take out the 4 and/or 7 with nothing left to messenger the 10.

I also know that my high energy/continuation balls leave me more 9's than anything else because they drive right through the 5 and the 9 never gets touched.

My arsenal is mostly comprised of continuous/energy (Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage DZ), and I actually prefer that to the angular, despite my love for my Vandal..lol

Also remember this. If the pins aren't aligned correctly, this will have an effect on it as well. While it may look good to the eyes from 60ft away, you'll be amazed as to how much they can be off their spots. (USBC allows the width of a pencil from being off center)
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast