Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My confidence is shot

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The only way to control your direction is to line up on the approach with the same foot that you end up on at the foul line (left). If you line up with your right, and slide with your left, how do you know if you have drifted?
    I address my target and swing toward it, starting on my right foot and ball movement in sync. A standard 4 step approach. My target is on the lane not the pins. As long as I care if I hit my mark, I do fairly well.

Send me a link to your targeting system. I would like to learn the thought process you use.
    Last edited by Wherearemyballs; 09-01-2016 at 06:01 PM.
    Learn the lines, but keep it fun. Bowling is mostly a mental sport, so aim.

Chats: 32

The point Rob is trying to make is where you start on the lanes doesn't really matter it's where you finish. If you finish on your left foot but line up off your right you have no idea if you drifted on the approach and are still on the same angle.

Technically I can aim at the third arrow and put the ball anywhere from the right gutter to the left gutter and still hit my target. It's the combination of consistently hitting the target and being on the same angle which is controlled by your finish position on the lane that determines accuracy down the lane. Being able to hit a target at 15 feet within an inch doesn't help much if your off by a foot at 40 feet
    Last edited by Amyers; 09-01-2016 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    The point Rob is trying to make is where you start on the lanes doesn't really matter it's where you finish. If you finish on your left foot but line up off your right you have no idea if you drifted on the approach and are still on the same angle.

Technically I can aim at the third arrow and put the ball anywhere from the right gutter to the left gutter and still hit my target. It's the combination of consistently hitting the target and being on the same angle which is controlled by your finish position on the lane that determines accuracy down the lane. Being able to hit a target at 15 feet within an inch doesn't help much if your off by a foot at 40 feet
    Which may be why over time I have shortened my approach. To help maintain a constant flow to my target from my starting point.

When I played squared up , I always read my stopping point. So I know what your saying. I'm thinking about point A and C , while B needs more thought given.

YouTube has to have something explaining a plan for Foot positions from start to foul line.
    Last edited by Wherearemyballs; 09-01-2016 at 07:43 PM.
    Learn the lines, but keep it fun. Bowling is mostly a mental sport, so aim.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by manke View Post
    Bilf great answer. I don't understand why people say get a coach right away. The average bowler does not want to spend hundreds of dollars to get to be a 180 bowler. Timbrr if you have some good bowlers you know ask them to watch you bowl and give you tips first. listen to bilf keep your head up and have fun.

I NEVER SAID TO NOT GET A COACH While I don't suggest one if all you want is to drink and not care about your game that situation doesn't seem to apply here.
    While your 240avg bowler can tell you "you pulled it" which most of us can reply "No $hit" they usually have zero clue why YOU did. They can tell you why THEY did and what the coach told THEM. Most of the best bowlers just bowl without thinking of form much. It either feels normal or "off" and they can't tell you what doesn't feel right.

I will admit I have one youth bowler who averages only 180 right now. Came to me two months ago wanting to try out for the high school team in November. His average at the time was a 27. That's not a misprint either. This boy has Autism, never bowled before his three months in the after school program and loved bowling even averaging a 27. He was smart enough to realize that average wouldn't get him on the team. For him and his parents it's been worth the $10 a week I've charged them.
    Last edited by billf; 09-02-2016 at 05:38 PM.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Hit the lanes today and shot a blistering 99. Followed that up with a 158. It occurred to me that I'm over thinking my whole game. I started pitching the Hooligan down the 8th board and shooting spares with the White Dot. I shot 206 so now I have something to build on. Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Timbrr View Post
    Hit the lanes today and shot a blistering 99. Followed that up with a 158. It occurred to me that I'm over thinking my whole game. I started pitching the Hooligan down the 8th board and shooting spares with the White Dot. I shot 206 so now I have something to build on. Thank you everyone for the help and suggestions.
    Good to hear. My last 9 games were an average of 180 which I loved, I went on Thursday and averaged 140. I was all over the place and my release was horrible. I know what I did wrong after each shot but I need to think more before I throw the ball. Thursday really brought me down a notch on my confidence. after reading this thread I will take some advice. I may wright down some stuff and read it before I am ready to bowl. In the old day's I had written on my shoes...BK on the left and FT on the right, so when I lined up I would see it. it meant Bend Knee and Follow Through.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123