Thread: Does axis tilt increase or decrease hook potential?

Default Does axis tilt increase or decrease hook potential?

Ive heard multiple sources saying that axis tilt increases hook because the ball stores up energy and revolutions while traveling down lane (because the ball is spinning on a smaller track than low axis tilt). Then it has more of a snap like reaction. But Ive also heard that it decreases overall hook because it has less friction and cannot hook as hard as a ball with low axis tilt. Personally I tried bowling with axis tilt because my ball wasnt hooking much. The axis tilt increased hook for me. Can both statements be true in different cases?

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Tilt has no bearing on "hook potential". The actual number of boards covered will be the same but it if all other factors are the same a low track will have more of a skid/snap reaction while a high track will read the pattern more. Skid/snap reactions tend to not read the midlane as well and are actually considered "weaker" reading balls despite the fact that most unknowing amateurs prefer the unpredictable "hockey stick" look. Earlier reading balls read the midlane more and tend to have more of a continuous, controlled arc the entire way.

That all being said this is the second thread I've read where you've mentioned axis tilt. Tilt is harder to change for most than axis rotation. Axis rotation will also have a greate affect on the ball's change of direction than tilt. So, how far have the oil rings moved from the fingers and thumb from the previous tilt to the tilt now used?
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I have no way of measuring the oil rings. But I can easily tell the amount of tilt with my eye. I went from about 2 degrees tilt (practically a full roller) to about 30 degrees of tilt. I understand that tilt reads the lanes later, but it must have some effect on the amount of overall hook? If you had a full 90 degrees of tilt the hook potential would be zero. If you had 89 degrees of tilt the hook would be so small it would be almost not noticeable. I think if you were to graph it, it would be an asymptote. And 0 degrees tilt would produce the most overall hook. But I guess how you have the ball drilled but alter this conclusion slightly.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

It doesn't take a tape measure to tell the oil rings went from less than half an inch of the finger/thumb holes to about 6 inches away. The fact that you can "eassily tell" readilly says you're looking at axis rotation. Tilt is actually measured just after the release before the lanes can have any impact on the motion.

Low tilt: ball goes longer before entering the hook phase. Ball goes straight down ten board until it hooks. Hooks 7.5 boards into the pocket. Total boards covered = 7.5 However the "hook zone" is further down lane and appears to "snap" the ball harder.
    Med tilt: laydown at 12, breakppint at 8 and back to the pocket. Total boards covered = 15.5 However, the breakpoint is closer to the foul line and the "hook zone" is greater giving the arc appearance of the hook.

Your statement that 0° tilt would produce the most overall hook is incorrect. It produces the sharpest breakpoint. The "stronger" a ball is doesn't mean the further it goes and the harder it snaps. "Stronger" the ball the sooner it reads the midlane and has more of a controlled arc.

The average league bowler makes this mistake all too often. Upper intermediate and advanced bowlers have learned this lesson, usually the hard way. That's why on sport shots the bowler will use the earliest reading ball they can to start. How early depends on carry. These bowlers can repeat good shots more often so don't have to wonder if they caused a bad ball reaction. They can watch the ball motion and let that dictate what adjustment is needed.

BTW, 90° tilt would be a "helicopter release" commonly used in Asian countries. The super high temps and humidity play havoc with the oil necessitating this delivery for amateurs and the ball hooks.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com