Thread: Thumb crease issues

Chats: 10

Default Thumb crease issues

Hello-

I'm noticing after I bowl, even during towards the end, that my thumb crease is getting agitated. When I grip the ball, trying not to, it can feel a slight pinch. I noticed on my ball compared to others that the slug is thinner near the top (closes to the fingers), where my other balls the slug is drilled in the middle. Is the slug thinner at the top the issue? Never happened before. Also, what is the best way to make my thumb crease harder so it wont be an issue?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

How's the bevel on the top edge of the thumb hole? Could use a tad more bevel to compensate for a hand that starts swelling at the end of the session?

I had what seems like a similar problem last year with a ball, with the helpful advice of a few regulars here figured out that the drilling was at fault, the span and angle of the thumb was a little off, also if you are gripping with the thumb your pro shop might be able to modify the thumb a little to help with that.

Chats: 0

Sounds like you might need more bevel on the inside of the thumb hole.
    Average: 190, High Game: 285, High Series 718
    In the bag: Radical More Cash, Track Paradox Pearl, Track Tundra, Storm Super Natural

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

It's either the bevel or the drilling. Pitch or span being off as little as 1/16" can cause issues. Talk to your driller about it and let him double check it. We're all human and as such are prone to making mistakes.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I had the same issue and had my PSo bevel my thumb hole and that didn't work then i had him shorten my span 1/4". he said the span was correct as is, but I had him do it anyway...best 15$ I ever spent the ball feels so much better with the shorter span.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

I had him drill me a new slug with the drilling be more in the middle. Before the slug was so narrow at the top. Haven't had a chance t throw it yet, but league starts tomorrow. I may need him to open slug up a bit more as it felt a little tight, even after he opened it u a bit already. Have league Monday as well, so he can work on it there if need be.

Bowled today with the ball which a new slug was drilled. No issues!! drilled more in middle than it was!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Bowled today with the ball which a new slug was drilled. No issues!! drilled more in middle than it was!!
    That's good, it's nice when it's a pretty simple solution !