Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should low rev players bowl with a higher axis tilt to conserve energy?

Default Should low rev players bowl with a higher axis tilt to conserve energy?

I have fairly low revs and my ball wasnt hooking much. However I tried bowling with a much higher axis tilt than before and I got a stronger hook. Is this because the ball stored more energy and revolutions?

Chats: 0

What physical change did you make to alter your axis tilt?

I tilted my wrist and followed through more parallel to the lane than up. A follow through that is towards the pins.

Yes, increasing your axis tilt, thereby lowering your track, will get the ball further down the lane. In modern bowling, the follow through should always go toward the pins, and there are no pins on the ceiling. Reaching for the ceiling was a pre-modern technique taught to increase lift. Lift used to be a good thing. Now, not so much!

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Rule of thumb; lower the track the further downlane the ball will go, conversely higher track will read the pattern more.

While "lifting" up on the ball causes early hook which was needed in the days before reactive resin balls the same technique used in more of a horizontal rather than vertical position. Now known more commonly as the "explosion point" it does increase back end reaction.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cranker
    Chats: 0

axis tilt? is this the position of your thumb on release? I start with my thumb at 1 O'clock but am told I turn my hand on my downswing. i guess that's a concentration issue. But just want to know what is axis tilt? Sorry if I hijacked a thread...lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

No problem. Axis tilt is the vertical angle of axis rotation to the lane. A full roller has no axis tilt. The ball spins on an axis parallel to the lane. A spinner has 90 degrees of axis tilt. That is, it is spinning on a full vertical axis. Any angle in between these extremes are measured from the lane up.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

[IMG][/IMG]

Overlay used to determine axis tilt
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Cool overlay. I initially thought that throwing with my spin at 0 would give me the most action because of the angle of friction, but I have found that 45 degrees really gets the most friction down on to the lane, I'm wondering how the physics of it works.. As a 2 handed bowler, i have found 4 releases that hits about 60, 45, and 20. As a 2 handed bowler it helps tremendously on dry lanes to have different axis rotations, but my problem is in my approach, there's so much movement in a 2handed approach that repetition is near impossible for me. I've been working on it for about 6 weeks and have made real progress, but that 10 pin is my demon. I hit about 10% of them =/.

As for the OP's question, as stated above I'm wondering why 0 axis rotation with medium+ ball speed increases skid factor by a seemingly impossible amount while 45deg-60deg seems to be the end all be all of hook potential. According to my own experiences anyways.

A very simplified explanation of the physics involved is this: an object will remain in motion until acted upon by an equal unbalanced motion. In other words, when the ball is thrown down the lane, it is moving as a result of the forward motion provided by the bowler's legs and arm swing. At the same time time, the bowler's release has imparted some degree of sideways rotation to the ball. The more sideways that rotation is (higher axis tilt), the longer it takes for those two energies to become equal to cause the ball to begin to change direction. Conversely, a ball thrown with little axis tilt is rotating in a direction that is very similar to the forward motion of the ball down the lane, so the two energies become equal sooner and the ball begins to change direction sooner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast