Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: League night transition

Chats: 221

As mentioned above, my opponents and team mates will dictate my move. Nomally it is move in either with the same ball or a stronger one depending on lane play
    Still love the game but had to quit because of my left leg amptation
    High game 299 x 5 High sanctioned series 805 (1989)

Chats: 4

Usually well almost always the other team will watch to see where I'm playing
    and then they will move in on top of my line and destroy my shot. I think they
    do it on purpose most of the time which I can't blame them for doing so because
    I'd do it to them too. LOL!!!!!!!!
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums
    Right handed, ex-cranker now a power tweener approx. 350 - 400 RPM's PAP 4 1/2" over 1" up high league sanctioned game 300 high league sanctioned series 788
    Bill

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I do need to be better about watching the other team and playing off everyone on the lane. My biggest concern last week was my teammates had such a great look playing right that I didn't want to ruin their hold area. It would have been interesting if I had balled down, flattened my wrist, and moved right to where they were.

To your point I need to develop a better strategy for transition and not be afraid to make changes when I see little signs. I'd rather make the wrong move and know instead of guessing after the fact like I am now. We'll see how it goes next week, ultimately league is more of a practice session for what I might see in tournaments so I'll try some different things.
    You're a better teammate than me lol of I'm not scoring and my teammate is, he better be prepared for me to play his line lol

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I find it doubtful that anyone is purposefully messing with your shot unless you are a 220+ bowler. Under that why bother. Just go out and out bowl them.

Everyone has to decide what works best for them. Moving in or out balling up or down has more to do with your physical game and what balls you own than opinions of people who have never seen you bowl.

I know it does happen, usually by the better teams and towards the end of the quarter. I'm guilty of it myself at times, if someone on the other team is doing well and we need points I'll try to play just inside of them and ruin their hold area. It's a competitive scratch league so about half the bowlers are 220+.

Gamesmanship between teams keeps things interesting on easy house shots. It makes for a fun night when you blow up the pattern trying the mess with each other and it comes down to true shot making the final game!

Pin Crusher

Scratch leagues are very rare and hard to find. I was referring to all the posters who gave opinions and average under 190.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Scratch leagues are very rare and hard to find. I was referring to all the posters who gave opinions and average under 190.

As popular as bowling is in that area I'm surprised scratch leagues are rare. We only have one scratch league in the county and it's men only. We had a woman move down from Columbus with a 238 average and they wouldn't let her bowl in it citing the league rule from 1958. I've brought it up at every league meeting since and it still gets voted down. Both Dayton and Columbus have travel scratch leagues on Sundays if one wanted to drive a few hours to bowl every Sunday morning.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

There are many scratch leagues around here.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Pin Crusher

I keep reading about all the scratch leagues and wonder are they capped? Like no one over 210 etc? If that is the kind of scratch league you might as well have a H\C league. Around here most leagues are H\C but we do have a few scratch leagues but they are open no cap and usually not enough pot money to keep them going. Bowlers go to where they can make the most money. My league has no avg. limit except on teams. 1050 is max. If you have 3 230 bowlers you must have a couple of 180 and under. It is H\C 90% from 1100.

Chats: 32

I keep reading about all the scratch leagues and wonder are they capped? Like no one over 210 etc? If that is the kind of scratch league you might as well have a H\C league. Around here most leagues are H\C but we do have a few scratch leagues but they are open no cap and usually not enough pot money to keep them going. Bowlers go to where they can make the most money. My league has no avg. limit except on teams. 1050 is max. If you have 3 230 bowlers you must have a couple of 180 and under. It is H\C 90% from 1100.
    We have 3 scratch leagues in my area (I do consider about 60 miles my area) and there are two handicap leagues that for all intensive purposes might as well be scratch as they are high money high end bowlers leagues with the handicap at 80% of 210 where most of the bowlers on the league average 200+. I've only seen an advertisement for 1 league with a cap here so I guess that's not popular in this area. Two of the scratch leagues are good money for the area and both the above mentioned handicap leagues are big money now the other scratch league is a holdover from another alley that shut down and serves more of a senior citizens club. I subbed on that league and I swear I was the youngest person in the building by almost double and I'm not a kid.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast