Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: League night transition

Chats: 0

Default League night transition

As another league season begins I find myself continually struggling with transitions. My first game average is typically the highest, then I struggle with over/under reaction. I have two lower rev bowlers on my team that always play right of me drying up the outside while the puddle in the middle remains untouched.

When running into over/under reaction on a THS do you typically ball up and move in, ball down and move out, or something else? Pros and cons of each option?

For me, it depends on the transition.

I start with my Ultimate Nirvana and go down the 10 board. If other bowlers are in my target area, I can move left and go 15 to 10. If they continue to follow my target I switch to my Vandal or my Fanatic BTU, and go right back to the 10 board or I can go down the middle (straight at the 15).

Depending on the length of the THS, I may have to make a ball change because of my own targeting track. Thankfully, I have an arsenal that allows me to do many different things.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Think about this logically. A typical house shot is what it is because there is fairly heavy oil from ten to ten. Once it starts to dry up, why would you ever move right into the dirt? The move is always to the left unless there is someone using plastic, urethane, or a very old, oil-soaked ball to cause carry down.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I move further inside and bank it off their breakpoint. Untouched puddle in the middle for hold on misses inside and dry on the outside for misses there sounds like heaven to me.
    Your style and versatility will dictate what to do in the end though.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I keep moving left until I get as far as I'm comfortable playing and then if I still need to adjust I'll ball down.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Thanks for the advice. This week I'll try bumping left with my feet and breakpoint, and go to a stronger ball once I start to see some over under.

I don't think I've ever balled up as the lanes transition so it'll be fun to try. The ratios on this shot seem really high. It might start out 10:1 but by the end of the first game it feels way higher. Hopefully I don't hurt the hold area of my lower rev teammates too much.
    Last edited by baker; 09-07-2016 at 09:04 AM.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Get you some "that wow factor " transition reducer

Also remember, it may be a strategy for the other team to play in your line as well to make the shot funky for you. So don't be afraid to watch and then copy what your opponents are doing. They sometimes will show you the way depending on if they have the same style as yourself. I have done that plenty of nights last season and plan to when I bowl the high rev rate bowlers. Develop a strategy based off the lanes, such as a certain order of which balls to use, I.E. polished to dull or vice versa.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_pocket View Post
    Also remember, it may be a strategy for the other team to play in your line as well to make the shot funky for you. So don't be afraid to watch and then copy what your opponents are doing. They sometimes will show you the way depending on if they have the same style as yourself. I have done that plenty of nights last season and plan to when I bowl the high rev rate bowlers.
    Win or lose I love it when game 3 comes down to who is more accurate lofting the left gutter and who can get around the ball return the easiest (weak point for me).
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

I do need to be better about watching the other team and playing off everyone on the lane. My biggest concern last week was my teammates had such a great look playing right that I didn't want to ruin their hold area. It would have been interesting if I had balled down, flattened my wrist, and moved right to where they were.

To your point I need to develop a better strategy for transition and not be afraid to make changes when I see little signs. I'd rather make the wrong move and know instead of guessing after the fact like I am now. We'll see how it goes next week, ultimately league is more of a practice session for what I might see in tournaments so I'll try some different things.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast