Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Baker 2016-2017

Chats: 0

Week 5 (had last week off)

mission unknown all night

Game 1: 208 - Missed 10 pin the first frame, my spare shooting continues to be terrible. Couldn't catch a double after that until the 9th and 10th. Honestly didn't throw the ball well until the end of the first game.

Game 2: 261 - Opened in the 5th frame with a greek church, ball jumped high unexpected. First time all year I've felt like I threw the ball well. I need to stay aggressive with my approach and release

Game 3: 257 - Missed 10 pin again, I need to find time to practice. Struck out in the 10th the force my opponent to get the first on and 9 on the 2nd ball. He got the first, but missed wide and got 7 on the 2nd ball in the 10th so I won my point by 1.

Game 4: 222 - Lanes started to fry up quick. 4-9 split and a couple 9 pins ruined a decent game.

Total: 948 (726 for 3) 237 avg
    Season avg: 224.25

Decided to try out the new mission unknown. I haven't bought an ebonite ball for a long time, but I've always liked how they reacted. Hopefully this one doesn't die as quickly as previous balls. After the first game I finally started to throw the ball well. I should've had 300 in games 2 and 3, but I missed the transition a bit. I need to be more aggressive in my approach and release to throw the ball well. I'm hoping better timing helps shore up my spare game as well, but it still needs works. Overall it was a good night with a new ball. Slowly working towards that 230 average goal.

After thinking back on last night I'm going to try switching back to more of an area targeting technique. Lately I've been trying to be more systematic and use the 3 point targeting technique, but I can't seem to draw the right lines to create the appropriate angles. It may have to do with being left eye dominant, but I feel that I'm having to manipulate my swing to try and hit a certain board at the arrows.

Previously I would simply target the exit point and try to visualize the shape I wanted. I really wasn't concerned where the ball crossed the arrows as long as it got to the area down lane with the right shape. In my pursuit of getting better I thought a new targeting system would help me improve. We'll see how it goes next week, maybe I'll actually have time to practice this week to test it out.

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

224 is a very good average! well done

Ringer

Well done!

Week 6

Mission Unknown all night

Game 1: 278 - stone 9 pin in the 7th and ring 10 last ball in the 10th. Threw the ball well and felt good

Game 2: 245 - a couple 10 pins in the middle of the game. Missed a 9 pin on the fill shot.

Game 3: 298 - Threw the ball the worst out of all three games, but still threw it well and I had miss room right. I just needed the first strike in the 10th for my first 800, after that I didn't really care. I should've moved after the 11th shot went a bit high and tripped the 4 pin, but didn't.

Game 4: 194 - Lanes started to dry up quick, couldn't string a double and badly missed a 4 pin (good thing I didn't need to shoot spares tonight). Chopped the 6-10 in the 10th.

Total 1015 (821 for 3!) = 253 average
    Season average: 230

I had a great feel all night and threw the ball decently well. I had a large margin of error, but it felt good to finally get 800, even on a super easy house shot. Spare shooting still sucks, but at least for tonight I don't care. It was a fun night that reminded me why I enjoy the sport.

Cranker

So how do you like the Mission Unknown? I got a regular black one and should be ready for me to pick up tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    So how do you like the Mission Unknown? I got a regular black one and should be ready for me to pick up tomorrow.
    Judging from his scores I say it fits his game alright

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    It's exactly what I hoped it be. It's my benchmark ball drilled 70x5x65, this puts the pin below the bridge with the mass bias kicked out about an inch. It has a nice hard arc and I can start outside and keep moving in with no loss of carry. It responds well to changes in hand position to get different looks, super versatile. Visually the all black color looks really good going down the lane.

Week 7

Game 1: 228 - Made some minor tweaks to my game, started using a cross over step to improve my accuracy. Struggled on the right lane, it appeared to have a bit of a hang spot that I couldn't really figure out. I was over throwing the ball trying to stay aggressive.

Game 2: 221 - Missed a 9 pin and badly missed a 4-7 spare. I've never felt so confident in my ability to strike and had so little confidence in my ability to spare. Mentally every time I pick up my spare ball I give myself a 50/50 chance at making the spare. I need to find some way to get out of this spare slump and with the first tournament of the year this weekend I have no time to practice. I'll take any advice I can get at this point.

Game 3: 222 - The hang spot on the right lane turned into huge over under making it tough to double. On my fill ball I decided to do a 2 and 3 move into the oil and straighten up my angles a bit. It gave me the look I was hoping for.

Game 4: 276 - I should've moved in sooner on the right lane. I was able to have a bit of miss room and carry was great, on the left lane I was still swinging the ball more as the shot seemed more blended.

Total: 947 (671 for 3) - 236 avg
    Season avg: 231

At this point I have shot an 800 and now need to keep my average above 230 to accomplish two of my three goals. I'm only at 74% for single pin spares this year which means I'm still leaving a lot out there. On spare shots I just cannot seem to get my angles right, or I just seem to tense up and try to control my swing resulting in pulling the ball badly. For the tournament I think I'm going to just have to throw it as hard as I can at spares to prevent from trying to control the swing. I even felt myself trying to control the swing on some of my strike balls.

Overall I feel good about how I'm throwing it and I think the crossover step helped improve my accuracy a bit on strike shots. If I can make some spare and keep my armswing loose I should make the cut this weekend. Hopefully it'll get me out of this spare slump.

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Week 7

Game 1: 228 - Made some minor tweaks to my game, started using a cross over step to improve my accuracy. Struggled on the right lane, it appeared to have a bit of a hang spot that I couldn't really figure out. I was over throwing the ball trying to stay aggressive.

Game 2: 221 - Missed a 9 pin and badly missed a 4-7 spare. I've never felt so confident in my ability to strike and had so little confidence in my ability to spare. Mentally every time I pick up my spare ball I give myself a 50/50 chance at making the spare. I need to find some way to get out of this spare slump and with the first tournament of the year this weekend I have no time to practice. I'll take any advice I can get at this point.

Game 3: 222 - The hang spot on the right lane turned into huge over under making it tough to double. On my fill ball I decided to do a 2 and 3 move into the oil and straighten up my angles a bit. It gave me the look I was hoping for.

Game 4: 276 - I should've moved in sooner on the right lane. I was able to have a bit of miss room and carry was great, on the left lane I was still swinging the ball more as the shot seemed more blended.

Total: 947 (671 for 3) - 236 avg
    Season avg: 231

At this point I have shot an 800 and now need to keep my average above 230 to accomplish two of my three goals. I'm only at 74% for single pin spares this year which means I'm still leaving a lot out there. On spare shots I just cannot seem to get my angles right, or I just seem to tense up and try to control my swing resulting in pulling the ball badly. For the tournament I think I'm going to just have to throw it as hard as I can at spares to prevent from trying to control the swing. I even felt myself trying to control the swing on some of my strike balls.

Overall I feel good about how I'm throwing it and I think the crossover step helped improve my accuracy a bit on strike shots. If I can make some spare and keep my armswing loose I should make the cut this weekend. Hopefully it'll get me out of this spare slump.
    IMO, I think you might be trying too hard, hence the tension. Try being a little more relaxed and not over throw the ball.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast