Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "House shot," not consistent

Chats: 10

Default "House shot," not consistent

Hello all. In the 2nd week of the season, the shot was different and this past week, it was back to what it was suppose to be. Here I can swing it out nad in but last week had to go down and in most of the night. Today I was practicing and had to play down and in again. The oil guy claims it's always the same, but clearly isn't. Many bowlers were having issues.

Does this happen anywhere else?
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post
    Hello all. In the 2nd week of the season, the shot was different and this past week, it was back to what it was suppose to be. Here I can swing it out nad in but last week had to go down and in most of the night. Today I was practicing and had to play down and in again. The oil guy claims it's always the same, but clearly isn't. Many bowlers were having issues.

99.9% of the time the mechanics will lie to you! In my league week 2 I had to switch to the Hectic after the 1st game and threw plastic for the end of game 3. Last week in comparison I threw the Snap Lock for the first 2 games and then the Phaze in game 3. The mechanic said the same thing that the lanes are always the same.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Pin Crusher

My team mate is the gen. manager and I don't believe a word he says. First off he is a lefty and they all play the same. Last year in the summer they replaced the 22 year old lanes with Brunswick anvil or something. supposed to be the best and just like the old ones. 80% of the house leagues lost pins on their avg. New ones re over under and seem to change early and often.

I think there are many factors that could be at play here. My house strips the lanes and oils in the AM, then re-oils before leagues in the PM. Depending who bowled on the lanes during the day, you can have different carry down week to week. Also temperature and humidity can be factors, inconsistent oil mixes, inconsistent ball maintenance (I leave mine in the trunk a lot so on hot days I get free ball rejuvenation), also where other players are playing the lane. Seeing how many others were having issues, I'd ask when they strip the lanes and see if you're bowling on fresh oil that's been placed on top of burned up lanes. And of coarse, nobody ever trusts the mechanic.

Pin Crusher

That all sound good but they are doing the same as 2 years ago. No one is happy. Over, under. I think the surface is so hard the oil just won't hold a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Blomer View Post

It happens everywhere else and the mechanic, General manager, counter manager, and owner will tell you, it's the same pattern, same machine, same oil, same oil mix.....and maybe it is, but the lanes certainly play differently night to night, pair to pair, I think of it as part of the challenge of bowling.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

When the lane man, manager, counter people etc. tell you its the same conditions week after week, They might not necessarily be lying about it.

As far as they know they maybe the same, most houses don't strictly monitor the conditions every day, week or month.

Plus a lot of the lane guys, let alone the owner or the other workers don't have a clue to how the lane machine works or if it's working properly.

They just know that you push button #2 for the Monday night pattern and if they pushed that button as far as they know their putting down the same pattern.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

SandBagger

One thing that is missing here is the weather outside and the weather inside. I bowl at a house that seldom turns on the air conditioning. When they do the lanes play very differently. When there is humidity in Las Vegas both houses I bowl at are different.

Keep in mind the season's changing as well, humidity and temp. play a part.

Cranker

Like everyone else said humidity and temperature play a big part on how the lanes play and also topography of the lanes will be different from pair to pair.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast