Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why not

Chats: 0

Default why not

Why, do you think, that beginners that already know how to hook the ball start off with a entry level ball and not a mid performance or high performance ball?

Cranker

My guess is beginners don't know anything about ball specs and coverstocks so they just buy the cheapest ball possible and that would be an entry level ball. I know that was basically the case with me. I ended buying a mid performance ball that was discontinued and on clearance and I bought it because it was cheap not knowing any better.

entry level balls hook and carry like those mid and high end balls. All my honor scores came from entry level balls besides one - track slash. Nothing wrong with newbies using entry level balls.

Price would also be my guess. I know I was hesitant to make a large investment when I was beginning.

Cranker

Entry level was how I felt after a 25 year layoff. When I started reading about coverstock and reactive balls and fake wood I was astounded...lol 5 Months in and I'm still learning. The ball I bought after I realized that my OLD ball wasn't working was I guess mid level.. A Track Heat, I now have that and a Storm phaze. I am amazed as to how much these ball move and turn at 12.5 mph
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 10

When I started four years ago, I didn't know if I would stick with bowling so I picked up a discontinued Brunswick Karma. It was cheap and did the trick. After the season I picked up a better ball. So cost was also a reason a s well,as I didn'tt know if I would stick with it.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

It was price for me as well. I couldn't justify $150+ for a new ball after a 20 year layoff. I bought a few different types of balls until I found what worked for me, then upgraded to more expensive balls

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

They buy them BECAUSE they know how to hook the ball. If you need the high performance balls to get a hook on a house shot then you don't know how to properly hook a bowling ball.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

One of the single biggest differences between bowling today and bowling prior to 1990 is that today, trying to make a ball hook is actually detrimental to your game. Today's balls hook all by themselves with no help needed from the operator. The problem is that those returning from a long layoff, as well as newbies who are influenced by long-time bowlers who haven't figured this out keep trying to figure out how to make a ball hook. The majority of time that I spend giving lessons to seniors who have bowled for many years is teaching them to just roll the ball and, otherwise, leave it alone!

Chats: 22

The performance you get from an entry level is pretty great! If you're just bowling league on a THS I'm not sure why you would even need one of the top of the line balls. But it seems like there's one or two Snap-Locks on every ball return in my current league. Some people like to have the latest and greatest I guess.
    "If a word in the dictionary were misspelled, how would we know?" - Steven Wright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast