Thread: Left Handed bowling balls

Default Left Handed bowling balls

I am new to bowling. I am left-handed. I just found out, to my surprise, that there are left-handed bowling balls! It seems counter-intuitive, but from what I can understand a left-handed bowling ball has a middle finger hole drilled a little higher than the ring finger hole. Or vice-versa. I am not sure. Also, how the holes are drilled in relation to the center weight applies somehow.

Well, I bought a used Ebonite Tornado from my bowling alley because it fit better than the rest of the house balls, and it would actually hook a little, especially at the end.

Is there a way to tell if this is a "left-handed" ball? It has a yellow dot a little to the above and right of the middle finger hole. I tried to upload a photograph of it but haven't had any success doing it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Are you referring to this particular web page? http://www.wikihow.com/Pick-a-Bowling-Ball
    The house balls as stated in the article say that the majority are laid out for right handed bowlers.
    If you bought a used ball, you should probably take it into the local pro shop operator and have him determine what is needed to make it work for you.
    My guess is that it's likely drilled for a right-handed player and the ball needs to be plugged and redrilled. From previous discussions on this and other forums the cost will be around $50 or so.
    Hope this helps...

Chats: 32

Djp nailed it bowling balls are intended to be custom fitted so if your serious about the game. Take it a proshop and have it fitted to you. You also may find that you can purchase a brand new lower end ball for close to what it will cost to plug and redrill the existing one you have. Good luck and enjoy the game.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Chats: 0

I am a lefty also. Your middle finger will be higher then the ring finger when the holes are drilled because your middle finger is longer then the ring finger. If you can get drilled for a fingertip ball. They are easier to put revs on your shot to make the ball hook.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.