Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video: Where am I going wrong?

Default Video: Where am I going wrong?

In particular in this one house I struggle. Its almost always problems with coming high on the head pin and I get, it seems, at least 2 splits a game and can't seem to string more than a double together. IF i'm rolling it well (which is hard due to shattered confidence) I can almost count on needing to move before my second shot on a particular lane. So many times I end up finding a line that seems to work Strike-Strike-Split. The shot breaks down so incredibly quickly for me with my soft speed.

This is a video from last week that is pretty typical of the kind of reaction I'm seeing. I'm wondering if any of you out there can see something with physical game or maybe the line I'm playing that can give me a clue as to what I should work on to improve.

http://www.hudl.com/technique/video/...UITR?e=6860111

For what its worth, at another house I'm averaging about 20 pins better and can stay lined up much longer.

The only thing that I see is that your follow through is going up, rather than out toward the pins. This is causing you to hit up on the ball which causes it to read earlier. Because of the differences in your averages in the two houses, I think that there is probably an outside cause to your problem. Most likely the two centers use two different types of oil.

Since you realize that you need to move after every shot or two, just do it. Personally, in one of the centers where I bowl, once I throw a strike in practice, I will avoid that line again until the lights come on to avoid having to move in the first frame.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    The only thing that I see is that your follow through is going up, rather than out toward the pins. This is causing you to hit up on the ball which causes it to read earlier. Because of the differences in your averages in the two houses, I think that there is probably an outside cause to your problem. Most likely the two centers use two different types of oil.

Since you realize that you need to move after every shot or two, just do it. Personally, in one of the centers where I bowl, once I throw a strike in practice, I will avoid that line again until the lights come on to avoid having to move in the first frame.
    Well you are spot on RE. the Oil. Since they changed the pattern and switched to Kegel Fire conditioner, I think they decided to go with less volume.. the issue with the shot changing so quickly seems to be related to the oil conditioner. It seems I'm constantly guessing... Last night for example, I moved 2&1 off of my previous shot on a lane that stuck and I still came up high for a split. So it was Strike-Strike- (move) Split.

I'll work on my projection down lane.. Thanks!

A). Knowing how the ball enters the pocket and pin action are ways to stay ahead of the pattern. Knowing your ball motion I should include too.

B). I watched your swing frame by frame. I see things with your approach/swing which are good, but there are things you can improve too. First, it looks like you're cupping the ball, but un-cup it as you start your push away. Also, most of the ball weight seems to be on your bowling hand. If so, muscling your swing has already started. Your Back swing is then forced. Your non bowling hand should burden at least 70% of the ball weight, start the push away, and your bowling hand is more neutral and relaxed. But I can't tell for sure because the camera is not directly beside you and behind you. (two angles are good for this) For that, I cannot comment much on the push away and the top of your swing.

Another thing too is that, you turn your hand prematurely. Your hand is inside the ball at the top of your swing - very good, but as your ball gets by your belt area on the down swing, your hand starts to turn to the outside - early. Then your elbow get away from body a bit. The face or anterior of the elbow should be facing your target throughout your down swing and follow through. You're diminishing the kinetic power, speed, and leverage by doing this - you're kinda like chicken winging it. Keep elbow close to your body and facing he target. Initially when I saw your big swing, I thought I'd see some speed. But it's lacking. With that said, speed isn't from the arm swing, it's from the lower half of your body. It's Your swing mechanics that is killing the speed and leverage.

At the release point, your ball position is great in relation to your ankle and head. but your hand positions looks weak. Your thumb and fingers seem to exit the same time (or close to it) like a suite case release, unless you prefer it that way. Staying more behind the ball and fingers below the balls equator should be the goal for a lot of bowlers. But to fix the release, the starting point and approach should be fixed first. The release will come. Trust me, your release was like mine over a decade ago.

Personally, about 85% to 90% of the ball weight is held by my non bowling hand. I feel the ball resting on the base of my index finger of my bowling hand and I feel it there throughout my swing till release. I have a shorter swing cycle than yours but produce 18.5 mph at release. At the top of my back swing, my ball stalls for a split second or so as I go into my slide. Here, it's like building up energy, stretching that sling-shot and holding it there, then......whhoooosh then followed by a yo-yo release...

Finally, you can do well with your current style on house shots if you learn how to read ball motion, entry angles, and pin action. Learn these and you can stay ahead of the pattern, you'll be one up against the rest. But if you want better, improving your set up, approach, and seeing a coach will benefit your game. I went from 250 rpm suite case release like yours to 350 releasing behind the ball like a yo-yo lol.
    Last edited by fokai73; 10-09-2016 at 04:30 AM.

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

try to release the ball sooner and don't fist the ball

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    try to release the ball sooner and don't fist the ball

"fist the ball"?

.........................Oh forget it I can't say it.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    "fist the ball"?

.........................Oh forget it I can't say it.

Let loose moderator and say it.....

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    Another thing too is that, you turn your hand prematurely. Your hand is inside the ball at the top of your swing - very good, but as your ball gets by your belt area on the down swing, your hand starts to turn to the outside - early. Then your elbow get away from body a bit. The face or anterior of the elbow should be facing your target throughout your down swing and follow through. You're diminishing the kinetic power, speed, and leverage by doing this - you're kinda like chicken winging it. Keep elbow close to your body and facing he target. Initially when I saw your big swing, I thought I'd see some speed. But it's lacking. With that said, speed isn't from the arm swing, it's from the lower half of your body. It's Your swing mechanics that is killing the speed and leverage.
    There's no point to being that far inside the ball if you're not going to swing through the ball. If you slow motion your release...you'll see that your hand isn't behind the ball...it's on the outside of the ball. This produces a different axis tilt...a less desirable "90 degree" axis tilt versus a more desirable "60-45 degree" axis tilt.

I'm not near enough of an expert on coaching as some others around here...nor as much of a fisting expert as 2HS...but I think with that sideways rotation...it's likely the ball is losing too much energy to carry at the one house.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by Aslan View Post
    There's no point to being that far inside the ball if you're not going to swing through the ball. If you slow motion your release...you'll see that your hand isn't behind the ball...it's on the outside of the ball. This produces a different axis tilt...a less desirable "90 degree" axis tilt versus a more desirable "60-45 degree" axis tilt.
    The OP's has a mike fagan like back swing at the top, but yes it's all for not with a down swing where the elbow goes away. If everyone watches PDW slow motion release, on the down swing pay attention to his elbow and where it is as it gets parallel with his body. Elbow in, hand behind the ball. If elbow is out, so will be the hand.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by fokai73 View Post
    The OP's has a mike fagan like back swing at the top, but yes it's all for not with a down swing where the elbow goes away. If everyone watches PDW slow motion release, on the down swing pay attention to his elbow and where it is as it gets parallel with his body. Elbow in, hand behind the ball. If elbow is out, so will be the hand.
    At the point of release, Pete's hand is not behind the ball, it's well over on the right side of the ball.

I have an image at the release, but for the life of me, I can't get it to upload

I keep getting a white exclamation in a red circle. it's only a 30k jpg.

Must be some other criteria that's causing it to fail.

Ok I got it there via photobucket.
    Last edited by Mike White; 10-10-2016 at 01:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast