Thread: Keys to playing up the boards

Chats: 0

Default Keys to playing up the boards

Going into tournament season I've always struggled early in the block when I need to play straighter. I'm going to practice this weekend, but what are some of the keys to keep in mind when trying to go more up the boards?

It's all a matter of angles. Make sure that your shoulders and hips are perpendicular to the foul line. You should also start with your feet parallel to the boards. These things will help you to keep the ball in front of you to play up the boards.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    It's all a matter of angles. Make sure that your shoulders and hips are perpendicular to the foul line. You should also start with your feet parallel to the boards. These things will help you to keep the ball in front of you to play up the boards.
    Keeping your feet parallel to the boards meaning what exactly? As in, as you transition to the foul line, or at set-up? I've been bowling for years but have just begun to learn the game.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by baker View Post
    Going into tournament season I've always struggled early in the block when I need to play straighter. I'm going to practice this weekend, but what are some of the keys to keep in mind when trying to go more up the boards?
    While you might not be playing the "Twig", You might want to look at Ron Cliftons article "How to play the twig" Here:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip6.htm

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_pocket View Post
    Keeping your feet parallel to the boards meaning what exactly? As in, as you transition to the foul line, or at set-up? I've been bowling for years but have just begun to learn the game.
    At set-up. Where you start, and with what angles, dictates how you will deliver the ball.

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

ho do u overcome the light/ heavy ball reaction when u play up the boards?

Chats: 0

Thanks for the advice, I went out today and practiced. I really focused on setting my angles during setup and staying square. I was playing straight up 7 with plastic and for one of the first times ever I was consistently hitting 7 at the arrows and 7 at the break.

I really only got into trouble when I didn't keep my armswing tight, or over rotated my shoulders at release. This is probably contributing to my poor spare shooting this year as well. I'll continue to practice, but I'm feeling more confident already.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    While you might not be playing the "Twig", You might want to look at Ron Cliftons article "How to play the twig" Here:

http://www.bowl4fun.com/ron/tip6.htm
    being able to play the twig is a perfect ballet...

Chats: 1

This is a useful article on 3 point targeting. This would help with playing a straight line. http://www.bowlersreference.com/Appr...tTargeting.htm
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums