Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get the ball out and open the lanes up?

Default How to get the ball out and open the lanes up?

When issue I have been having is not getting the ball out on the lane. I bowl on a modified shot where the inside moves and anything past 10, if not played straight up, will slide down the lane. I try to play straight down 10 or play inside but at times I find myslef pulling the ball or simply not getting it out enough. I figured out one issue was I wasn't dropping my shoulder enough. Is there something i can practice to get my ball out more? Also how do you figure out what boards to stand on in relationship to what boards you want to play on the lane?
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

i am so interested in the responses here, I seem to do the same thing. I pull the ball a lot weather shooting inside or outside. I've herd I am gripping to tight, I am outside the ball and timing is off...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    i am so interested in the responses here, I seem to do the same thing. I pull the ball a lot weather shooting inside or outside. I've herd I am gripping to tight, I am outside the ball and timing is off...
    You're oil pattern is the opposite of what Hot_Pocket is describing, so the solution for Hot_Pocket probably won't help you on your oil pattern.

The best solution that I've found when the middle of the lane has friction and anything outside of 10 board has little to no friction, is to move my feet far left, as if I were shooting at a 10 pin.

Then aim as if I want the ball to go straight at the 3 pin.

I don't really want to hook the ball much, just get it to stop the left to right motion, and end up near the pocket.

By playing thru the middle of the lane, you have a bit of dry area to the right to help the ball roll.

If you miss right into the oil, just kiss it goodbye.

The mindset on conditions like this is do the best you can, and remember your opponents are dealing with the same crap.

Cranker

Don't know about Hot Pocket but I make a bad shot and I adjust every shot after that. I know it's wrong yet I am all over the approach and even swap balls during a game. It's not a serious league and maybe that is my issue...IDK!!!

But let's get back to Hot Pocket, I don't want to steal his/her thread....
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Don't know about Hot Pocket but I make a bad shot and I adjust every shot after that. I know it's wrong yet I am all over the approach and even swap balls during a game. It's not a serious league and maybe that is my issue...IDK!!!

But let's get back to Hot Pocket, I don't want to steal his/her thread....
    In another thread you described the problems you were having, and you received some advice on how to play the lanes differently.

Personally I think that advice was wrong, but rather than overload you with conflicting advice, I was waiting for you to come back and give some feedback on the advice you were given.

Then I would give you some "better" advice.

If you can, find that thread, post your results of using the advice given, then I'll tell you what I think will work for you.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    In another thread you described the problems you were having, and you received some advice on how to play the lanes differently.

Personally I think that advice was wrong, but rather than overload you with conflicting advice, I was waiting for you to come back and give some feedback on the advice you were given.

If you can, find that thread, post your results of using the advice given, then I'll tell you what I think will work for you.

I remember a thread on release. I do open a lot of threads so message me a hint...lol.. and let's give this thread back to the author...

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_pocket View Post
    When issue I have been having is not getting the ball out on the lane. I bowl on a modified shot where the inside moves and anything past 10, if not played straight up, will slide down the lane. I try to play straight down 10 or play inside but at times I find myslef pulling the ball or simply not getting it out enough. I figured out one issue was I wasn't dropping my shoulder enough. Is there something i can practice to get my ball out more? Also how do you figure out what boards to stand on in relationship to what boards you want to play on the lane?
    Part of this may be mental. In my experience playing on sport patterns, the lack of miss room to the outside makes you think "I can't miss right",( or "I can't miss left" for the lefties), and the next thing you know, every shot is Brooklyn.

When you say the "issue I have been having is not getting the ball out on the lane", do you mean the ball is hitting the lane too close to the foul line, or is it that the ball is not getting far enough to the outside part of the lane?

To figure out board stand on requires two pieces of information:
    1. How much lateral movement do you have in your approach? i.e. Does your slide foot start on twenty and end up on 23? Also does this number change as you play different areas of the lane? Many bowlers who are most comfortable playing up the track will start drifting right when forced to play deep inside.
    2. How close is the ball to your ankle at release?

Given these two numbers you can work backwards drawing an imaginary line from your intended breakpoint thought your target to figure out where the ball should cross the foul line. Adding the distance from the center of the ball and adding or subtracting your lateral motion will get you to the board you should be setting up on. If your lateral motion is left you will subtract, if it's right you add.
    John

Cranker

Usually when I'm pulling the ball that usually means I'm muscling it. Make sure you have a nice easy arm swing. Another thing that might help you is moving your eyes down lane. So if you are playing straight up 10 and targeting 2nd arrow, maybe target 10-20 feet past 2nd arrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

Not sure which thread I posted on. Only thing I saw was the advice about having my feet parallel. But I adjusted my feet to point slightly right to project the ball out. currently have an issue of drifting about 6-7 boards from where I start.
    In my bag: Roto Grip Haywire, Ebonite Cyclone Gamebreaker, Brunswick danger zone vintage, Brunswick C-system Maxxed out and Columbia WD. High Game 300 (x3) high series 790...still searching for the 800.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Usually when I'm pulling the ball that usually means I'm muscling it. Make sure you have a nice easy arm swing. Another thing that might help you is moving your eyes down lane. So if you are playing straight up 10 and targeting 2nd arrow, maybe target 10-20 feet past 2nd arrow.
    I had the issue but fixed it with adding ,At setup, doing one loose practice swing to get a feel for it so I'm not muscling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast