Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros don't always throw straight at spares.........

Cranker
    Chats: 0

6 or 10 is my only attempted straight shot
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Well I can't roll a Perfectly straight ball.
    Average =177 High Game = 249 High Series = 671
    Arsenal = Hammer 15# Burgundy, Hammer 16# Rythm, Track #15 Artillery Arsenal, Track 16# Tour SiC

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I do not yet have a spare ball, Even when I do get one I will probably only use it for the 6 or 10. Right now I just take everything off the ball to make it hook less, in other words like a suitcase release with no follow through, I am still not accurate enough though I make maybe 50-60% of right corner pins destroys a lot of my games. I would move on the approach and throw my normal ball at buckets, etc...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey Track Hammer View Post
    Well I can't roll a Perfectly straight ball.
    Thats ok, since most balls are "perfectly" round.

Chats: 256

I throw straight at 3-6-9-10 and most combinations of them. On Sport patters I will throw straight at all leaves.

When I leave a 3-6-9-10, I do hook at it to lessen chances of chopping and leaving the 9 pin.
    High Sanctioned Scratch Game - 300(12) Hi Sanctioned Scratch Series - 822(3)
    2016/17 Book Average=221, 2017/18 Composite Average=223
    Equipment in the bag - Storm Crux Prime, Storm Physix, Roto Grip Idol, Roto Grip Idol Pearl, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused, Storm Sure Lock, Storm Drive, Roto Grip Winner Solid, Roto Grip Haywire, Storm Fever Pitch, Roto Grip Red ball spare.

Rev Rate 400. Speed 18 at heads, 16.5-17 at pins. Axis tilt 10, Axis Rotation 55. PAP 5 5/8 x 5/8 up

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post
    I throw straight at 3-6-9-10 and most combinations of them. On Sport patters I will throw straight at all leaves.

When I leave a 3-6-9-10, I do hook at it to lessen chances of chopping and leaving the 9 pin.
    Huh???

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by vdubtx View Post

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Huh???
    Yeah there is a bit of Huh?? there.

My Huh? is on the last part.

It seems the word "chop" has mutated it's definition to something like, I got some, but not all of the pins.

To me chop means the ball deflected less than expected, causing one or more pins to be left.

Such as a 6-10 leave, where (for a right handed bowler) the ball hits the 6 pin slightly on the right, and drives the pin back without the ball contacting the 10 pin.

Hitting the 6 pin on the left, and sending it to the right, and around the 10 pin, or just into the right gutter, is not a chop the way I learned it's definition.

I've seen the comment.. I chopped the 5 off, leaving the 2-4. To that I say Huh???

Chats: 32

Huh???
    I believe he meant that he throws straight at the 3-6-10 but hooks at the 3-6-9-10 due to the possibility of not taking the 9 out with the deflection of the spare. As mike stated I'm not sure that leaving the 9 in this instance is actually a chop but I'm not sure if there is a particular term for it. If you leave the 3-9 or 2-8 and hit the front pin but miss the back pin is that a chop also? I'm not sure myself.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I'm not sure that leaving the 9 in this instance is actually a chop
    The classic definition of a "Chop" or "Chopping" is:

"knocking down only the front pin of a multi pin spare leave"
    For the 3-6-9-10 leave in this case the true chop would be hitting just the 3 and leaving the rest.

And to be considered a true chop the ball should hit in the middle of the pin. (not left or right of the middle)

A slightly more modern variation is "To knock down one pin of a multi pin spare leave"

In the case of the 3-6-9-10 leave here, picking off just the 3 or 9 or 10 could be considered a "Chop".

Leaving only the 9 pin from the 3-6-9-10 leave, would not be considered "Chop" in any case.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Huh???
    I believe that what Vdub means is that he throws a straight ball at any single pin leave to the right of the headpin as well as any multi-pin combination of them with the exception of the 3-6-9-10.
    John

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast