Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pros don't always throw straight at spares.........

Chats: 0

Default Pros don't always throw straight at spares.........

I was watching a few pro tournaments from 2015 on youtube. I noticed on certain spares they would hook it to pick the pins up. Corner pins seemed to be picked up with plastic balls thrown straight. You can see this for yourself by watching a few tournaments on youtube. Do you hook sometimes on certain spare leaves to pick them up?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Chats: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I was watching a few pro tournaments from 2015 on youtube. I noticed on certain spares they would hook it to pick the pins up. Corner pins seemed to be picked up with plastic balls thrown straight. You can see this for yourself by watching a few tournaments on youtube. Do you hook sometimes on certain spare leaves to pick them up?
    I'm not. A pro for sure, far from it, the only spare i throw straight at is the 10! Everything else I hook at it.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

I throw plastic straight at the 6,9,10 and any combination of those pins.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

I just got my first plastic ball, and now I'm throwing it only at the 10, the 6-10, or certain splits like the 4-9. Everything else I hook with my strike ball. If I start to do tournaments on real patterns, I'll likely start practicing throwing straight for single pins and some multi-pins just to take the oil variable out of it. On a THS, I don't miss any single pins (10 excluded) with a hook.

I also believe it to be a better shot to throw a hook when you have something like a bucket (2,4,5,8) or a sleeper/double wood (2-8).

I just published and article on BTM entitled "Playing the Percentages." It's about developing a spare shooting system. Personally, I use my strike ball to hook at the 2-8, but have a much higher make percentage at the 2-4-5, and the 2-4-5-8, using plastic going straight up the fifth arrow. It's just too easy to chop something hooking at those two spares.

I try to throw straight at all the corner-ish pins (4,6,7,8,9,10). I throw a smaller hook at the baby splits on the corners (3-10, 2-7) because it is easier for me to cover both pins with the ball that way. I also throw a hook at any leave that would have me targeting the same spot as the baby splits (3-6-10 for example). I also usually throw a hook at buckets and sleepers because they are just easier to cover that way.

Chats: 1

I pretty much throw straight at everything. If you can dig it up, find the Rolf Gauger's article on "Triax Spare System".
    Style: Power Stroker/Tweener - 16.5 - 17.5 mph, PAP 4 1/2 x 0

In the bags:
    Retooled with 15 lb equipment.

In the Bag: Radical Ludicrous, 900Global Honey Badger Claw, 900Global Honey Badger, DV8 spareball

In the Bullpen : Radical Quick Fix, Radical Katana

The archives: Ebonite Grey Wolf (first 300), Red Wolf (first 700). Just can't let them go.

I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

My pet theory is that since the typical house shot is designed to funnel a hooking ball into the middle of the lane, it's counter productive to hook at any pin right of the 3 pin or left of the 2 pin. I spend about a quarter of my time bowling on sport patterns, so I tend to shoot straight at almost all spares. The exceptions are the 5 pin, the 2-8, and the 1-2-4-7.
    John

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJim View Post
    I pretty much throw straight at everything. If you can dig it up, find the Rolf Gauger's article on "Triax Spare System".

For those interested in the Triax System heres Rolf Gauger's "Up your Average" 2 part article from bowling news where he tells about it. Also I added Triax chart to the pdf.

http://home.earthlink.net/~litefrozen/downloads/Triax_spare.pdf

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast