Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left hander missing left on 6 and 10 pins

Chats: 0

Default Left hander missing left on 6 and 10 pins

I use a plastic ball for my 4 and 7 pin spares. I have been using it for the 6 and 10 pins and am recently having issues missing left. The ball just does not want to grab in the middle of the lane slides by right. I am getting ready to go back to my strike ball for the right side spares. Could it be simply too much oil in the middle? I have always stood on 10 and gone over the second arrow. Thanks for any advice.

Brian in MI

It might be just a matter of taking a straighter angle towards that corner with a plastic ball. It would be something to work on during a practice session.

It's also not a bad thing to use your strike ball either. Just be sure it doesn't over hook if you have the 6-10 or you might just miss the 6.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker

Stick to what works, use your hook ball if that was working.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post
    I use a plastic ball for my 4 and 7 pin spares. I have been using it for the 6 and 10 pins and am recently having issues missing left. The ball just does not want to grab in the middle of the lane slides by right. I am getting ready to go back to my strike ball for the right side spares. Could it be simply too much oil in the middle? I have always stood on 10 and gone over the second arrow. Thanks for any advice.

Brian in MI
    Generally speaking, the point of using a plastic ball for spares is for the ball to go straight at the pin. If you used to stand on 10 and target second arrow with your strike ball to make the 6 or 10 pin there is no way, unless you're a left-handed Mike White that a plastic ball will make the turn. When teaching people to go cross alley at a corner pin, we usually suggest a target near or at the center of the lane. I've seen people successfully use targets anywhere from third to fifth arrow. Most often it's within a couple of boards of the center (4th) arrow.

So pick a target closer to the middle and adjust your starting point until it works.
    John

SandBagger
    Chats: 7

the brunswick has a bullet core so taht extra wobble may help your spares. Matt McNeil uses a
    tzone for his spares and is lefty too

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by 2handedsniper View Post
    the brunswick has a bullet core so taht extra wobble may help your spares. Matt McNeil uses a
    tzone for his spares and is lefty too
    What is wobble, and how could it be helpful in making spares?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lancerdad34 View Post

Brian in MI
    I'm right handed, so reverse to compare to your game.

Using my strike release, if I use urethane, I can't get the ball to hook enough to reach the 4 pin, and if I use resin balls, I can't get it to not hook past the 7 pin into the gutter.

The oil in the middle of the lane delays the significant part of the hook until about 40 feet down the lane.

My solution is to use very weak release, and a plastic ball, then throw it straight at the 4-7.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    ...unless you're a left-handed Mike White...
    I'm a product of the environment in which I learned.

If I had been left handed, the environment would be different to the point that I wouldn't be the current version of me.

Thanks john bullheaded me was alway stuck on the second arrow where I used to use my strike ball to shoot the 6 and 10. Never thought of trying more in the middle! I will give it a shot and let you know!

Brian

I am left handed and use my urethane Blue Hammer to pick up spares. I can throw it more or less straight to go after the seven pin by taking the cup out of my hand and staying behind the ball at the release. I am standing in line with the right gutter and throwing between the third and fourth arrow. Other spares I can hook the Blue enough to pick up other leaves. I have used my reactive resin ball to pick up the 10 pin by standing left and throwing over the 8 board on the left side of the alley.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast