Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Incentives/Prizes do your centers have?

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    I don't know what tournament(s) you're participating in, but every tournament that I have been in doesn't allow you to establish an average during the tournament.

You either have to use your book average from the previous season, current season that consists of a certain number of weeks bowled until a certain date (if the current season is 10 pins more), or you have to use scratch average that is part of the rules, and that's usually 220 or 225.
    Yes you establish your average outside of, and before the tournament.

If you know you are going to bowl in the tournament (any tournament) you have an incentive to bowl less than your ability such to receive more handicap, or be placed in a division that provides you less talented competition.

While bowling in the tournament, you are participating in an event that has given you the incentive.

"Contests or schemes which threaten the integrity of the game and/or entice a player to bowl beneath his/her ability are strictly prohibited."

The tournament would be considered a Contest.

The rules of the tournament, handicap or average divisions are the enticement.

It doesn't specifically say the bowling beneath one's ability has to occur during the contest, to be strictly prohibited.

With USBC modifying their rules so a bowler potentially uses their average from the USBC tournament(s) in future, it is providing that exact enticement.

Handicap tournaments for money provides incentive to bowl worse one's ability.

Not by bowling worse in the tournament, but in establishing an average to ultimately be used in the tournament.

Even the USBC main tournaments gives incentive by the grouping of bowlers into average categories.

Okay, let's see if we have this straight.

If you bowl in a usbc sanctioned handicap tournament that has a money prize your violating Rule 15.

Because a handicap tournament with prize money is a contest or scheme which entices a player to bowl beneath his/her ability by sandbagging in league to establish a low average to use in said handicap tournament.

Okay so everyone that has bowled in a usbc city, state or national handicap tournament should be suspended.
    Last edited by Doghouse Reilly; 10-15-2016 at 08:20 PM.
    Doghouse Reilly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
    Okay, let's see if we have this straight.

If you bowl in a usbc sanctioned handicap tournament that has a money prize your violating Rule 15.

Because a handicap tournament with prize money is a contest or scheme which entices a player to bowl beneath his/her ability by sandbagging in league to establish a low average to use in said handicap tournament.

Okay so everyone that has bowled in a usbc city, state or national handicap tournament should be suspended.
    "Contests or schemes which threaten the integrity of the game and/or entice a player to bowl beneath his/her ability are strictly prohibited."

The contest is what is prohibited, so not the bowler, but the tournament director would be in violation of Rule 15.

If the bowler did in fact sandbag in preparation for the tournament, their violation would be based on the rules about sandbagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post

The contest is what is prohibited, so not the bowler, but the tournament director would be in violation of Rule 15.

If the bowler did in fact sandbag in preparation for the tournament, their violation would be based on the rules about sandbagging.
    The bowler would be in violation of rule 15 also, Because they would a participant in the contest.

"Penalty: Membership may be suspended or denied to anyone who is a participant or involved in the
    violation of this rule."
    Doghouse Reilly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Doghouse Reilly View Post
    The bowler would be in violation of rule 15 also, Because they would a participant in the contest.

"Penalty: Membership may be suspended or denied to anyone who is a participant or involved in the
    violation of this rule."
    It doesn't say participant in the contest.... it says participant in the violation.

Creating the enticement is the violation.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by fordman1 View Post
    Are we talking about what the center give bowlers or who runs the pots? Are you saying the center is running pots? Better be carful or they could lose their liquor license.
    2 of my leagues are ran by the president and VP of the league, but I did have one last year at another house that the front counter ran the brackets/doubles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    2 of my leagues are ran by the president and VP of the league, but I did have one last year at another house that the front counter ran the brackets/doubles.
    Does the house when running brackets keep a portion of the entry money?

Last time I bowled in a Vegas league, I got in 8 brackets, won 6, and got 2nd in another. The guy who ran the brackets was offended that I didn't tip him any of my winnings.

I figured since 1st place, and 2nd place combined only paid 7 times an entry fee, the guy already confiscated as much as he deserved.

He said he didn't take any of the money, which was true, what he did was enter himself into every bracket without paying for the spots.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    Does the house when running brackets keep a portion of the entry money?

Last time I bowled in a Vegas league, I got in 8 brackets, won 6, and got 2nd in another. The guy who ran the brackets was offended that I didn't tip him any of my winnings.

I figured since 1st place, and 2nd place combined only paid 7 times an entry fee, the guy already confiscated as much as he deserved.

He said he didn't take any of the money, which was true, what he did was enter himself into every bracket without paying for the spots.
    Yep $5 off each bracket. Bowled a tournament a month or so ago that the house took $10 out of each bracket but failed to mention that until AFTER they paid them. Winner got $20 and 2nd got $10. Needless to say there were some very upset bowlers

Pin Crusher
    Chats: 0

I have been collecting pots for years and take 10% of the top as do the others who collect other pots. None of us take any tips. If offered we refuse. this started 20 years ago when a guy who won $1000 gave a $2.00 tip. Usually the ones who complain about anything are the ones who would not lift a finger to do anything extra.
    Our Brackets are $5 pay $30 for 1st and $5 for 2nd. Collector gets in free. There is a lot of work involved in collecting pots. $10 cut is too much that is 25%.

At our center they have brackets/blind doubles as well strike jackpot. The house takes a cut of each one and they run them all. Where I used to bowl it was run by an individual and they always took a cut as well, but it was run by one of the bowlers.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast