Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface changes to consider for Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Skid

Default Surface changes to consider for Roto-Grip Hyper Cell Skid

This is a ball I had in 15lb and gave it to one of my teammates since I've went to 14 and decided I'm never going back.

The ball is in the OOB condition and has been inconsistent for him, he's a stroker with med speed and average hand, I know that's not super specific but the problem seems to be when the ball hits the the dry and makes a hard turn it seems to have very little margin for error.

I think the OOB is a 1500 grit polish. Since I know some of you guys are very knowledgeable about how surface changes I thought I would get some advice on what might be a reasonable adjustment to smooth the hook out a little and afford him a little more margin for error.
    Right now when he hits it the ball carries well but on balls that miss even slightly leave a split.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

You can even the reaction out some by giving it some more surface. If it's polished now, try hitting with just a 4000 pad and see how it reacts then. If that helps some but not enough try going to 2000 or 3000 pad next.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    You can even the reaction out some by giving it some more surface. If it's polished now, try hitting with just a 4000 pad and see how it reacts then. If that helps some but not enough try going to 2000 or 3000 pad next.
    Sounds like a plan, I will talk to him tonight and bring the pads, he hasn't been too happy with the ball so might as well give it a shot either before league starts or after and he can take it with the new surface and roll a couple of practice games.
    If I remember right it sounds like something similar to what we did to the gold rhino ball I gave to another teammate, but we might have done something like knocking the polish off with a higher grit then going up to 3000 ? Something about clogging the pad ? The ball was not 1500 polish it was something like a 500 royal compound ....

Chats: 0

Mo Pinel recommended I hit my polished stuff lightly with a maroon scotchbrite pad (by hand) for similar effect. i do this about once every two months to keep the surface right.

Quote Originally Posted by JJKinGA View Post
    Mo Pinel recommended I hit my polished stuff lightly with a maroon scotchbrite pad (by hand) for similar effect. i do this about once every two months to keep the surface right.
    How has that been working for you ? I don't happen to have a maroon pad, I looked it up and it says they are equal to 320 grit.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Sounds like a plan, I will talk to him tonight and bring the pads, he hasn't been too happy with the ball so might as well give it a shot either before league starts or after and he can take it with the new surface and roll a couple of practice games.
    but we might have done something like knocking the polish off with a higher grit then going up to 3000 ?
    This should read "knocking the polish off with a lower grit then going up" because your going from coarse to fine. In sanding when you go "up" your going from a lower to a higher grit

Something about clogging the pad ? The ball was not 1500 polish it was something like a 500 royal compound ....
    All depends on situation and how you see the ball reacting on the lane, if your sanding in practice.

It's easier to dull a ball than shine it up during practice. So you have to watch out if you start out too coarse.

Also if you are sticking with that ball through the night, you have to consider how that dull surface might react later on after the lanes break down.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 10-19-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    This should read "knocking the polish off with a lower grit then going up" because your going from coarse to fine.

All depends on situation, if your sanding in practice.

It's easier to dull a ball than shine it up during practice. So you have to watch out if you start out too coarse.
    Right, my mistake on the grit, I think we might be doing it in practice and I can see the logic in doing a 4000 then 3000 if needed, that should at least give him a good idea of what the ball can do with a surface more suited to his game. I don't have a maroon scotch-brite either so that can't happen today.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Note: A maroon scotch-brite is pretty coarse, it's about the same grit as a 500 abralon pad.

Chats: 0

A light hand buff with a maroon scotchbrite pad seems to work well for my Guru and Optimus Pearl. I still keep a couple balls that i don't scuff. I actually like the higher grit light scuff as it doesn't change the length as much as it provided a few deeper troughs for oil traction which blends out the pattern. But I also havn't tried having the surface brought down to 2000 or 3000 on a spinner to compare. It is easy for me to maintain by hand as needed.

Chats: 32

Nock the polish off with a 500 grit pad then change your surface to 4k preferably on a ball spinner. Simply work your way down until you reach a point where your happy with the reaction. Probably between 3k or 4k should even the reaction out enough for him to be happy with the ball.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast