Trident
The new Trident from Motiv is a whole different animal. I will start by saying most Asymmetrical balls in the past have been tough for me to use. Being a bit more Rev dominant player and having lower tilt numbers, my experience has been more of a hook stop motion with Asymmetrical balls. With that being said I decided to try something different with the Trident. I went with larger drill and Val angles. 65 X 4.5" X 60 was the preferred layout for the Trident. So the question is would the use of larger angles and longer pin help? The resounding answer is YES.
The ball motion I have found with the Trident is really what I have been missing on longer heavy volume patterns. Where I typically get stuck is not having something that I can go away from the pocket on heavier patters. The Trident allows me to open the angles up and let the ball motion take over. This ball is more overall hook than the Havoc. The Trident is more motion down lane along with mid lane shape from the Asymmetrical core. I can see myself using this ball to begin blocks on heavier or longer patterns. This is the first Asymmetrical ball in a long time I really like. Though this ball is something that will not see the lane often. When it does see the lane, the Trident has proven itself worthy of a permanent place in the Tourney bags.
I can see the Trident being great for players with high tilt or lower rev rate. The Trident will allow the ball to shape with ease and still continue through the pins. When you find yourself with a puddle of wax in front of you and you need extra motion this ball is the nugget of choice.
Thank you

Clayton Mohr
Motiv Staff Member