Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'll probably get hammered for this question

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    Here's a pertinent question: If you use a "strong" ball and it rolls out at 40', is it then a "weak" ball? Conversely, if you use a "weak" ball and it retains the energy to carry all ten pins, is it then a "strong" ball? The whole Weak/Strong thing concerning bowling balls is the most detrimental thing that a bowler can think to mess up his ability to make smart ball choices and changes. Balls roll early, or they roll late. It's not a matter of weaker or stronger, it simply a matter of different.
    True and even more accurate would right ball / wrong ball
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    That weaker, stronger crap is just somebody's opinion based on who knows what.
    Quote Originally Posted by billf View Post
    USBC says the earlier a ball reads the stronger it is.
    If weaker, stronger is crap when it's somebody's opinion, then shouldn't it still be crap when it's the USBC's opinion?
    Last edited by Mike White; 10-28-2016 at 12:08 PM.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    I won one in a tip drawling or something and promptly traded it because I didn't like the way it rolled except for higher speed bowlers. I have seen a few that were drilled up quite a while after the ball first came out that rolled better but I just didn't like the look of it with most bowlers.

Funny I won my Phaze on this site...

Anyway all good responses on the "stronger ball" theory. I threw 3 games with it yesterday and I left 8..yes 8 10 pins in 3 games and all on either a strike or a double. I ended up shooting 510 missing half of the 10 pin spares.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Funny I won my Phaze on this site...

Anyway all good responses on the "stronger ball" theory. I threw 3 games with it yesterday and I left 8..yes 8 10 pins in 3 games and all on either a strike or a double. I ended up shooting 510 missing half of the 10 pin spares.
    Well at least you were in the pocket I guess. You might try taking the polish off of it with a 4k pad and see if that helps it any. I'm not a huge fan of Storms 1500 polished finish.

Current arsenal

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Well at least you were in the pocket I guess. You might try taking the polish off of it with a 4k pad and see if that helps it any. I'm not a huge fan of Storms 1500 polished finish.
    I was bowling next to a guy with a 218 average yesterday and he advised me also to take off the polish, He said he did it and his ball changed a bunch. The Phaze is a very shinny ball to start with. In the 2 games I seen him bowl he did not leave 1 10 pin, then again he was at 16 mph and I am at 12. My Phaze has less than 50 games on it. How is this done, do I need to have the pro shop do it and what should I ask him to do as far as grit. I still don't know about that stuff.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

I was bowling next to a guy with a 218 average yesterday and he advised me also to take off the polish, He said he did it and his ball changed a bunch. The Phaze is a very shinny ball to start with. In the 2 games I seen him bowl he did not leave 1 10 pin, then again he was at 16 mph and I am at 12. My Phaze has less than 50 games on it. How is this done, do I need to have the pro shop do it and what should I ask him to do as far as grit. I still don't know about that stuff.
    If you just want to get an idea you can rough the surface up yourself with a 4k Abaron pad, you can purchase the from the proshop usually $5-$8. To get the full effect and make it last you'll need the proshop to do it on the spinner. I do a lot of surfacing so my proshop lets me use their spinner for free as long as I buy my pads from them before that typical cost was $10-$20 to have them do it. I would start at 4k and work down. You speed is similar to my own and I find throwing much below 3k is usually ineffective unless I'm playing on a flooded lane.

Current arsenal

3/4 of ball reaction is a result of the surface of the ball. The other 1/4 is a result of the core. The Phaze has a core that is designed to roll early. Trying to overcome the core with surface changes is like trying to drive your car on three out of four of its tires. It doesn't work. With a 12 mph ball speed you may not be able to use a ball with an early-rolling core without losing energy and leaving all of those ten pins.

3/4 of ball reaction is a result of the surface of the ball. The other 1/4 is a result of the core. The Phaze has a core that is designed to roll early. Trying to overcome the core with surface changes is like trying to drive your car on three out of four of its tires. It doesn't work. With a 12 mph ball speed you may not be able to use a ball with an early-rolling core without losing energy and leaving all of those ten pins.
    The reason my Nano Pearl lives in its bag lol

Current arsenal

Cranker

so in reality I should not bother with this ball and maybe trade or sell it? Still being new at this "new" stuff I just thought a so called stronger ball would help me.

so in reality I should not bother with this ball and maybe trade or sell it? Still being new at this "new" stuff I just thought a so called stronger ball would help me.
    And herein lies the problem with the terms weak and strong as applied to bowling balls. At 12 mph, this is not a strong ball for you, it is the wrong ball for you, IMHO. Take a look at something with a low rg in the 2.54 to 2.57 range. I can recommend the Storm Rocketship from personal experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast