Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I'll probably get hammered for this question

Chats: 32

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    And herein lies the problem with the terms weak and strong as applied to bowling balls. At 12 mph, this is not a strong ball for you, it is the wrong ball for you, IMHO. Take a look at something with a low rg in the 2.54 to 2.57 range. I can recommend the Storm Rocketship from personal experience.
    Calling the ball strong or aggressive wasn't what caused the problem here. The problem is the balls too aggressive for his style and lane conditions.

I do agree with the conclusion that the balls probably too much. I can't throw balls in that rg and cover range unless I'm on heavy oil and even then not sure this ball would still be a great choice.

Where are you currently standing, targeting, and getting the ball to at the break point? You maybe able to move left keep it in the oil longer and get a different look but from what you've said about leaving 10s with it you may have explored that possibility.

If your looking for another ball the question is do you want more than the heat or less? If more the storm rocketship or Brunswick quantum pearl would be good choices. If less the Track Tundra, storm tropical breeze, Brunswick Rhino would all be good balls.

Yes, actually, the problem here is calling the ball weak or strong for the simple reason that we have a cultural bias towards those words. Think about it. Strength is revered in our society. Super heroes are strong. Paper towels are touted as strong. Fast cars are called "muscle cars." On the other side of the coin, the thing that makes a process go bad is the weak link. Because of this bias towards the words, bowlers naturally gravitate toward balls that are strong... often much more aggressive than the bowlers style is able to handle.

Yes, actually, the problem here is calling the ball weak or strong for the simple reason that we have a cultural bias towards those words. Think about it. Strength is revered in our society. Super heroes are strong. Paper towels are touted as strong. Fast cars are called "muscle cars." On the other side of the coin, the thing that makes a process go bad is the weak link. Because of this bias towards the words, bowlers naturally gravitate toward balls that are strong... often much more aggressive than the bowlers style is able to handle.
    Rob...So should we say the difference is more reactive and less reactive?
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Rob...So should we say the difference is more reactive and less reactive?
    How about aggressive early vs. aggressive late, since every reactive resin ball is aggressive by comparison to pre-resin balls.

Chats: 32

Rob I don't completely disagree with you I believe the problem is deeper than just wording though. But in this particular case that didn't have anything to do with it as he won this ball in a contest not purchased it was what I meant. People think they are in the same league as the pros if they average 220 on THS and throw the ball at 18mph. We both know that's not the case for more than most.

I have been working with one of my kids to lower his speed currently 17 mph on the monitors and of course when I started talking with him is the pros throw at that speed. What he didn't understand is the Pro's have rev rates of 400+ his might be 250 on a good day. The same things happen with balls they see them used by the pros on tour and even pricing the more expensive ball has to be better doesn't it?

Even if you were successful in changing the terminology it's not necessarily going to change the mindset of bowlers. I bowled in the city tournament this weekend and watched one member of the team we were bowling against continuously throw a Storm Crux against us on lane conditions that went from light oil in game one to nonexistent by game 6. He was upset about 580 for his first set (210 average bowler) and 490 for his second set and just couldn't understand why he bowled so bad.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Current arsenal

900 Global Badger Claw - Radical Ridiculous Pearl - Spare Ball Ebonite T Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Amyers View Post
    Rob I don't completely disagree with you I believe the problem is deeper than just wording though. But in this particular case that didn't have anything to do with it as he won this ball in a contest not purchased it was what I meant. People think they are in the same league as the pros if they average 220 on THS and throw the ball at 18mph. We both know that's not the case for more than most.

I have been working with one of my kids to lower his speed currently 17 mph on the monitors and of course when I started talking with him is the pros throw at that speed. What he didn't understand is the Pro's have rev rates of 400+ his might be 250 on a good day. The same things happen with balls they see them used by the pros on tour and even pricing the more expensive ball has to be better doesn't it?

Even if you were successful in changing the terminology it's not necessarily going to change the mindset of bowlers. I bowled in the city tournament this weekend and watched one member of the team we were bowling against continuously throw a Storm Crux against us on lane conditions that went from light oil in game one to nonexistent by game 6. He was upset about 580 for his first set (210 average bowler) and 490 for his second set and just couldn't understand why he bowled so bad.
    You've read most of my posts, and there are 2 things I have said right along. 1) The ball manufacturers like to target the newer, expensive balls to those who follow the pros, hoping to get them to buy. 2) Too many bowlers stay married to the same ball much longer than they should, even after they make position changes. Sometimes the pros have that same flaw.

There are balls that Brunswick comes out with that are pretty darn good, but don't fit my game and I won't use them.

And I too have a tendency to stay with a ball longer than I should, but I'm much better at changing these days and my scores/average show that.

For some, they tend to blame the equipment for what's happening on the lanes when they should be blaming the equipment operator.

If you can't change speeds, location or equipment, then ugly things are going to happen, especially when it comes to reading the transition. Everybody here makes those same mistakes and it's just a matter of making the corrections at the right time.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123