Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else think the underhanded football drill is the wrong simulation

Default Does anyone else think the underhanded football drill is the wrong simulation

To me an underhanded football drill forces your hand to rotate too much. It isn't the correct simulation of rolling a bowling ball. If you do the simulation at home you'll notice your hand over rotate and thumb past vertical. That would make for a very extreme and unpredictable back end hook.

This is my thought of the day...

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I personally do not think you can simulate hand motion unless you have weight in your hand ..yea a bowling ball
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

I do. I was overseas about 10 years ago when I saw a local coach teaching his students about the release. He was using a softball and not a football. It made me think about the release for some time, and then I started using a softball/baseball a year later.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Here are the football and softball drill.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

I agree. The football drill was great when you had to make the ball hook. Now, not so much!

SandBagger

At a kids party 2 years ago, I came across a what became a tool for a while. It was a plastic ball with holes. It was used in the swimming pool. The holes and colors
    let you see what was happening when tossed differently. No weight, but showed what effect hand position has.

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Here are the football and softball drill.

thanks for posting....

Works for me
    Average =177 High Game = 249 High Series = 671
    Arsenal = Hammer 15# Burgundy, Hammer 16# Rythm, Track #15 Artillery Arsenal, Track 16# Tour SiC

I definitely think this is the wrong 'simulation' because it keeps your hand on the side of the ball from start to finish, though this video does help explain how to stay behind it. I did use this to help one of my friends understand the 'concept' of throwing a hook. He had never owned his own ball or bowled in a league but was very effective throwing the ball straight. He couldn't figure out how to hook a ball so I tried to help. The shake hands method didn't work, then I remembered this method from my days as a junior bowler and told him to try it out. It's not perfect, but it helped him understand how his hand needed to finish.
    Last edited by zacks; 10-27-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Chats: 217

I absolutely deplore the football drill. Even using a yo-yo underhand is more effective. I bought softballs on clearance and handed them out to all our youth bowlers then had the high school team demonstrate how to do it at each table.

www.eileensbowling buddy.com also had the fel ball which comes with finger holes to help with revs, rotation and how to use the fingers.
    USBC SILVER CERTIFIED COACH
    Gold Coach Candidate
    Owner/Operator of Bowlerz Score Coaching
    Tweener Rev Rate of 420, Speed 19 mph
    Key Bowling Staff Member
    Key Bowling Coaching Staff

IBPSIA member
    Former Staff Bowler at www.BowlerX.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast