Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can't remember the exact name, this week the swing open?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    What is the purpose of bellying the ball?

Does that purpose apply on 50 feet oil with a massive wall at 15 board?

You need the ball to hook to achieve the amount of deflection that gives the best chance of knocking all 10 pins down.

If you could release the ball from a couple lanes over, and loft the ball such that it lands on your lane, then you could throw it straight and achieve the equivalent of hook.

Since that technique isn't encouraged, you learn to hook the ball.

To hook the ball, you need good revs.

But good revs, that don't cause the ball to hook (think plastic ball) are no better than no revs at all.

Deflection is based on impact angles, and momentum.

Understanding deflection would require some familiarity with physics.

One of the laws you learn in physics is during a collision between two objects, the sum of the objects momentum before the collision is the same as the sum of the objects momentum after the collision.
    Maybe I'm not saying it correctly, Doesn't Belmo throw from the left to the right and the ball turns back to the left? that's what I mean by bellying. All I'm saying is that on 55' of oil they weren't doing that.

look at this video starting at 14 min 25 seconds and watch Belmo's 2 shots. Better angle at 25:30 minutesfirst one belly second lane almost straight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeNDafdkOcc
    Last edited by LOUVIT; 10-28-2016 at 12:53 PM.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Maybe I'm not saying it correctly, Doesn't Belmo throw from the left to the right and the ball turns back to the left? that's what I mean by bellying. All I'm saying is that on 55' of oil they weren't doing that.

look at this video starting at 14 min 25 seconds and watch Belmo's 2 shots. Better angle at 25:30 minutesfirst one belly second lane almost straight

It wasn't that they weren't hooking the ball, it was simply that the ball ball doesn't hook until it finds friction past the pattern. With a fifty-five foot pattern on a sixty foot lane, the ball is not going to hook much, regardless of the rev rate.

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post

Did you miss 4:50 the fact that the left lane had the long oil 52', while the right lane had short oil 32'?

On the short oil Belmo needs to delay the hook as much as possible. To do that, he launches the ball in a left to right direction.

On the long oil, he didn't need any delay, so he played as straight as possible.

If you notice, in the first match, Malott plays a little angle from right to left towards the pocket on the long oil lane.

He gained in angle of entry, but didn't take advantage of the mountain of oil inside 15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12