Thread: Tuneup after long layoff and the big 70 coming soon........

Chats: 0

Default Tuneup after long layoff and the big 70 coming soon........

I just got back into bowling after a 1 1/2 year layoff. Yesterday I was focused on my approach first. Sometimes I had the habit of looking like I was taking a bow at my release. I tried to focus on keeping my upper body more upright so I can get more leverage on the ball at my release. If I took that bow while letting go of the ball it would end up a pulled shot. When done right I could post my shot without losing my balance at the foul line. My balance leg was working okay also.

The other thing was not turning my hand early and staying behind the ball at the release zone. When done right I would get good revs on the ball and a good ball reaction down lane. I have a short approach because of a new hip and knees that are not that great. The big 70 is getting closer. I am only about 10 or 12 feet from the foul line. I use a 5 step approach and do it rather slowly. Surprisingly I can still get good speed on my ball. I am not one of these old folks that do a slow approach and the ball goes about 8 miles an hour.

My spare pickup was not really that bad. I was kind of happy with it. I guess bowling for 28 years helps out a little with these things. I have knowledge on the different kinds of balls and surfaces that will work for my shot. I really love this game and hope my body holds up for a few more years. Let's see! What else do I need to practice?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Sounds like you're working on some good stuff! I practiced today with three people who are all in their 70's, and what they lack in ball speed they make up in accuracy. Perhaps just working on hitting your target consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    I just got back into bowling after a 1 1/2 year layoff. Yesterday I was focused on my approach first. Sometimes I had the habit of looking like I was taking a bow at my release. I tried to focus on keeping my upper body more upright so I can get more leverage on the ball at my release. If I took that bow while letting go of the ball it would end up a pulled shot. When done right I could post my shot without losing my balance at the foul line. My balance leg was working okay also.

The other thing was not turning my hand early and staying behind the ball at the release zone. When done right I would get good revs on the ball and a good ball reaction down lane. I have a short approach because of a new hip and knees that are not that great. The big 70 is getting closer. I am only about 10 or 12 feet from the foul line. I use a 5 step approach and do it rather slowly. Surprisingly I can still get good speed on my ball. I am not one of these old folks that do a slow approach and the ball goes about 8 miles an hour.

My spare pickup was not really that bad. I was kind of happy with it. I guess bowling for 28 years helps out a little with these things. I have knowledge on the different kinds of balls and surfaces that will work for my shot. I really love this game and hope my body holds up for a few more years. Let's see! What else do I need to practice?
    Hammer.....As you've already figured out, "Bowling is like riding a bicycle...you never forget how to do it". My big 70 is tomorrow, and if you're in the same shape as me, I know about an hour after a league night, every thing begins to ache. Just old age I guess. Keep working on the basics and before you know it it'll be like you never stopped. Good Luck.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Hammer.....As you've already figured out, "Bowling is like riding a bicycle...you never forget how to do it". My big 70 is tomorrow, and if you're in the same shape as me, I know about an hour after a league night, every thing begins to ache. Just old age I guess. Keep working on the basics and before you know it it'll be like you never stopped. Good Luck.

Like riding a bike?..well I guess but I can ride a bike well after not riding one for 25 years.....But after 25 years of not bowling .....let's just say bikes didn't change. Bowling did....lol. You are my coach and you say forget the old days, some day I will be able to....haha

Just messing with ya on your birthday...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner