Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can different ball cores change your rev rate?

Chats: 0

Default Can different ball cores change your rev rate?

What I am talking here is if you throw each different ball the same way will it's core change the amount of revs you get out of it? Say you have ten different balls with different cores but you throw each one the same. Will some cores give you low revs and other cores give you more revs then other balls? So maybe your rev rate depends on what kind of core is in the ball. Just had this thought recently. What do you folks think?
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    What I am talking here is if you throw each different ball the same way will it's core change the amount of revs you get out of it? Say you have ten different balls with different cores but you throw each one the same. Will some cores give you low revs and other cores give you more revs then other balls? So maybe your rev rate depends on what kind of core is in the ball. Just had this thought recently. What do you folks think?
    NO!!!!!

Banned
    Chats: 68

The odds are VERY slim that all ten of your balls will result in the same moment of inertia at your PAP.

Using Newtons second law of motion, as it applies to rotating bodies:

torque = moment of inertia * angular acceleration

Using a bit of algebra

angular acceleration = torque / moment of inertia.

If the torque (how you release the ball) remains the same, and the moment of inertia differs from ball to ball, then the angular acceleration will likewise differ from ball to ball.
    Last edited by Mike White; 10-30-2016 at 08:50 PM.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Could just be an illusion but I have thrown some balls that while going down the lane looking like they rev very slow as they go down the lane. Then others you can see the revs right off the hand. I also have one ball in particular that almost looks like a knuckle ball going down the lane

Banned
    Chats: 68

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    Could just be an illusion but I have thrown some balls that while going down the lane looking like they rev very slow as they go down the lane. Then others you can see the revs right off the hand. I also have one ball in particular that almost looks like a knuckle ball going down the lane
    As far as that knuckle ball is concerned... stop trying that chest pass technique.

Super Moderator

Blog Entries
    Chats: 1305

Quote Originally Posted by Mike White View Post
    As far as that knuckle ball is concerned... stop trying that chest pass technique.
    But But But that's how i bowled a 190!
    Brunswick Bowling Staff

Ultimate Bowling Products Staff

USBC Registered Volunteer and Level l Coach

Bowlifi

Instagram (Follow me)

Personal Facebook Bowling Page (Like it)

YouTube Channel (Subscribe to it)

Tournament Page (Like it)

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by StormBowler13 View Post
    But But But that's how i bowled a 190!
    190!!! Go get your PBA card!!!

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

So maybe your rev rate depends on what kind of core is in the ball. Just had this thought recently. What do you folks think?
    No, Your rev rate depends on how you release the ball.

If you can only put 400 revs on a ball, having a different core in the ball won't give you 600.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Your rev rate is off your hand. Your ball can get into a roll earlier or later that can have the illusion of having more or fewer revs. Another consideration is slight variances between balls (grips wear out, etc) that can alter your release a little bit, but that's probably not a major variance.

In short, no, it just looks that way.

SandBagger

If the core has no, or minimal impact, on how a ball will rotate, then WHAT DOES IT DO?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast