Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is buying a Used ball a option?

Cranker
    Chats: 0

My first new ball was suggested by my coach and PSO and it was a Track Heat, I've since won a Storm Phaze from here and still like the Heat better, But my coach seen me bowl he didn't just pick a ball out of the air.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

ill check the heat out thanks for the recommendation.

Any one of those balls will be just fine. Most important is the fit of the ball after it's drilled in order for you to develop a proper grip pressure. Hopefully you can keep the ball on your hand without squeezing it.

If your a new to bowling bowler or as I tell people if you can't average 140-150 then you shouldn't buy a new ball. More than likely your rolling the ball all over the place in the gutter 1-3 time a game plane and simple not consisted . So why do that with a new ball? Imagine your going to pick up golf this year you go online and buy a $1000 golf set , does that make since, no. A used good fitting ball is all the new bowler needs.
    As you progress around 150 average then buy a (new) entry level ball . Your now being able to get the ball to the pocket more and a entry level ball will help increase the average. After your average gets 170-180 now your in the pocket a lot you need better carry now it's time to up to a high performance ball.

Just my opinion

Things I don't buy used: Condoms, underwear, and bowling balls

Chats: 204

Quote Originally Posted by bowl1820 View Post
    Getting a used ball is a option, you just have to weigh the cost of the ball+plugging and drilling etc. against getting something new.

The Storm Breeze is a fairly low cost ball, you should check the price of a new one(with drilling,grips etc).

So $50 plus say maybe $40-$50 for plugging and drilling, grips (depending on the proshop). So about approx. $100 for used

A new Breeze is running around $79 online, so depending on your PSO new might not be that much different.
    Quoted because it is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye_2019 View Post
    My psi quoted 125new ball drilled etc ect
    New Tropical Breeze (assuming for a woman): $125 new, drilled.
    Old Tropical Breeze (same assumptions): $50 + $60 (drilling, inserts, tax).

The question is, how valuable is $15 to you. If you are living month to month and starving and apparently wasting your family's only money on bowling and internet access...go used....it's a Tropical Breeze...who cares? BUT...if you're in the top 97 percentile of Americans where $15 wouldn't break the bank...go new.

Most importantly...is the Storm Smell...still good enough to warrant the purchase? Most Storm bowlers (and dhoff) WILL list scent in the top 3 of their bowling ball selection criteria...usually after "brand" and before "color".

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Agree 100% on 1 and 2.
    Only exception on #3 is:

IF...and only IF...you are buying a spare ball...or an older urethane that isn't really made anymore...

...ESPECIALLY...if the choice is between a used plastic Maxim or White Dot...and a Motiv spare ball like an Arctic Sniper...where a company with a track record of questionable business ethics is selling a round piece of plastic/urethane for 2x as much as other, similar round, pieces of plastic/urethane.

...THEN...I'd consider used.

I have bought ONE used ball. It was an Ebonite Maxim...the guy $75...which included drilling, etc... A new Maxim or White Dot...I'd be looking at closer to $95-$145 drilled, etc... Had the PSO charged me $50 PLUS $55 in drilling (Total: $105)...I'd have spent a little extra and got a new White Dot.
    Last edited by Aslan; 01-09-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Quote Originally Posted by NewToBowling View Post
    Lol NTB,point well taken.
    Hammer Purple Urethane. Storm Surge Hybrid, Storm Pitch Purple, Roto Grip Hyper Cell.
    2 Storm Surge Pearl 4x4x2 and a no flare, ,Roto Grip Hot Cell, Roto Grip Haywire.
    2020/2021, Hi Average 219, Hi Game 289, Hi Series 771, 30 Clean 4, 700 Series 16.
    2021/2022, Hi Average 211, Hi Game 256 Hi Series 693, 30 Clean 0, 700 Series 0.
    Proud member of Bowlingboards.com Since 2013.

Chats: 204

The other (seriously speaking) reason I don't buy strike balls used (unless it's a Hammer Big Block Diesel in decent condition)...is the cost of a new (non-Lane#1) bowling ball...is roughly $100. The 'trick' is, you have to by the release from 3-18 months ago. You can get all kinds of great, brand new, pro performance bowling balls from not only bowlingball.com, but also BowlerX.com. Not spamming...I work for neither company...I'm just pointing out that there are brand new, highest performance bowling balls on both sites for $100 shipped. These are balls that 3-18 months ago sold for $125-$245.

Bowling ball manufacturers don't necessarily advertise this...because it would cut into their new ball sales a bit...AND because to discourage buying these balls they'd have to make the case that their bowling ball technology only lasts 3-18 months before it's obsolete.
    In Bag: (: .) Motiv Trident Odyssey; (: .) Hammer Scorpion Sting; (: .) Pyramid Force Pearl; (: .) Brunswick Rhino Gold; (: .) Ebonite Maxim
    USBC#: 8259-59071; USBC Sanctioned Average = 185; Lifetime Average = 171;
    Ball Speed: 15.5mph; Rev. Rate: 240rpm || High Game (sanc.) = 300 (268); High Series (sanc.) = 725 (720); Clean Games: 181

Smokey this is not 'Nam', this is bowling. There are rules. Proud two-time winner of a bowlingboards.com weekly ball give-away!

Cranker

What are you using now? Is it a fingertip ball or a house ball.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

The only used ball I ever had was one that someone gave me. I was switching hands due to injuring my dominant hand and wanted to get something drilled for the off hand. A bowler in my league gave me a lower weight ball and it worked great until I gained enough control to get a regular ball drilled for the off hand. Other than that I don't think I would buy a used ball. Not worth the money when everything is considered.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast