Thread: 2 Balls

Chats: 1

Default 2 Balls

So I'm comparing a ball that my coach is suggesting I try. I'm a low speed bowler approx 13-14 MPH, with low revs right around 250. I currently have a Snap Lock that just doesnt seem to finish. He's wanting me to try a Motiv Trident, but I noticed the RG is almost Identical and the differential is identical to my Snap Lock. Is this change really going to do much for me?

Thanks,

Rob

No, it's not going to solve your problem. Unfortunately, many coaches, like most bowlers, don't understand what the roll of the low RG is. I have a hunch that your coach was recommending a ball for you based on what he has heard other bowlers say. If I were you, I'd look at something in the mid part of the Storm line. My specs are very close to yours, and I've had a lot of success with the Storm Rocket Ship. You might consider giving it a try.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Just curious what do you mean by not finish? Does it not hook or does it not carry. Sounds possibly like the issues I have with both my Storm Phaze and my Track heat. Also low rev's and 12mph.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 1

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Just curious what do you mean by not finish? Does it not hook or does it not carry. Sounds possibly like the issues I have with both my Storm Phaze and my Track heat. Also low rev's and 12mph.
    By doesnt finish i mean it doesnt drive through to the 8. It will normally bounce off the 5 and into the 9. I leave a lot of ringing 10s this way.

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    No, it's not going to solve your problem. Unfortunately, many coaches, like most bowlers, don't understand what the roll of the low RG is. I have a hunch that your coach was recommending a ball for you based on what he has heard other bowlers say. If I were you, I'd look at something in the mid part of the Storm line. My specs are very close to yours, and I've had a lot of success with the Storm Rocket Ship. You might consider giving it a try.
    Doesn't the coverstock come into play at all though? I was thinking that maybe he thought that with the trident being a solid/hybrid it's going to create more friction in the back end.

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Does not finish can mean either doesn't hook, or doesn't carry, or both. Your problem is probably the same due to your ball speed and rev rate. The lowest low RG allowed by the USBC is 2.47. Your Phase is 2.48 and the Track Heat is 2.50. Both are designed for early roll. The earlier the roll, the more speed is needed to get the ball down the lane. You need something with a low RG between 2.54 and 2.58 to get you enough length for your ball to retain power to knock down pins.

Quote Originally Posted by drlawsoniii View Post
    By doesnt finish i mean it doesnt drive through to the 8. It will normally bounce off the 5 and into the 9. I leave a lot of ringing 10s this way.

Doesn't the coverstock come into play at all though? I was thinking that maybe he thought that with the trident being a solid/hybrid it's going to create more friction in the back end.
    The ball doesn't drive through to the eight because it is losing energy before it ever gets to the pins. What is left, deflects off of the one and five pins to leave weak tens and eight-ten splits.

Yes, coverstock and surface do play a roll, usually estimated at 75% of ball reaction. You cannot, however totally wipe out the effects of the core simply by changing surfaces. It's like putting racing tires on a dump truck. It just doesn't work! Find a ball with a core that is designed for your game, and then manipulate the surface to match your game perfectly. In the end, it will be the most important thing that you have ever done to improve your average and your enjoyment of the game.