Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: House that favors lower rev-rates??

Default House that favors lower rev-rates??

Just wondering on everyone's experiences here, but have you ever bowled in a house that favors a lower rev-rate and speed? Our league recently moved to a different house, and it's very apparent that those bowlers with higher rev-rates tend to have a more difficult time with carry. Everything, across the back stone-7's, smash 8's, 9's and 10's. The problem isn't getting to the pocket, it's consistently knocking them all down.

The guys with less powerful releases on the other hand seem to have much greater carry, and even more margin for error going straighter up the lanes, as they carry everything from high flush to half-pocket. These guys have seen their averages jump by 10-20 pins just by moving houses.

Feels like an extreme difference in oil volume in the middle part to the outside part of the lane as you can hook plastic from outside 5 into the pocket. With a high rev-rate, going straighter with increased speed only leads to the previously mentioned taps.

Anyone else encounter this kind of condition? How did you go about attacking it?

Cheers.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I have only been bowling in one house for now but I wish it was that one...lol I'm a slow speed and medium rev guy...I wish houses would tint the oil so we could see it like they do on TV
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Tinted Oil would be awesome. Little messy, but awesome. Although I guess it would expose the crappy job some houses are doing in lane maintenance lol.

We have a house that has some navy blue lanes. You can see the glare of teh oil really easily on those lanes. I wish we could bowl league on them as it really is the best lanes i have ever seen for reading the oil.

Quote Originally Posted by freshlybakedfingerolls View Post
    Tinted Oil would be awesome. Little messy, but awesome. Although I guess it would expose the crappy job some houses are doing in lane maintenance lol.
    I agree with you 100%. Tinted oil would be great but it would show the bowlers how little oil they actually putting out and how quick it disappears. The centers don't want that. It would be great though just for league bowling to use the blue oil.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums and a ball contest winner.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by freshlybakedfingerolls View Post
    Just wondering on everyone's experiences here, but have you ever bowled in a house that favors a lower rev-rate and speed? Our league recently moved to a different house, and it's very apparent that those bowlers with higher rev-rates tend to have a more difficult time with carry. Everything, across the back stone-7's, smash 8's, 9's and 10's. The problem isn't getting to the pocket, it's consistently knocking them all down.

The guys with less powerful releases on the other hand seem to have much greater carry, and even more margin for error going straighter up the lanes, as they carry everything from high flush to half-pocket. These guys have seen their averages jump by 10-20 pins just by moving houses.

Feels like an extreme difference in oil volume in the middle part to the outside part of the lane as you can hook plastic from outside 5 into the pocket. With a high rev-rate, going straighter with increased speed only leads to the previously mentioned taps.

Anyone else encounter this kind of condition? How did you go about attacking it?

Cheers.
    I'm trying to get my head around what conditions would favor Low rev-low speed bowlers. The typical house shot favors that throw enough hook to take advantage of it. As long as the rev rate matches the speed it's fine.
    John

Trust me, I know it sounds odd lol. And I know it's not just me from observing and talking to the other bowlers, and it's very apparent in seeing the lower-rev guys thrive when they used to struggle in comparision in the old house. So the improvement came strictly from a change in environment. I bowl regularly in three different houses and the challenge is exclusive to this one.

I guess you'd have to bowl there to feel it for yourself, but there seems to be plenty of volume in the middle, and extremely dry on the outside. Anything right of 10 feels like a 30' pattern, then left of 10 feels like 45'. Urethane, even plastic on the outside hooks at your feet if you have any kind of rev-rate. It's not hard to find the pocket, but again it's the carry that is the issue. Obvious issue with the high-power guys.

One theory I've heard is that the center has never changed their pins, so they are inherently lighter. Causing them to fly around too much as opposed to staying low on the deck. The lower-rev guys don't have this problem and it usually leads to much better carry.

I know it's weird, and we don't experience the same challenge in any other center. That's why I came here, to ask if anyone's ever had the same kind of experience.

Cranker

Never changed their pin's? Isn't there a rule on that?. My house got new pins a few months ago and it's fun watching them slide to a different spot without falling. The bottoms are so flat I guess. If you leave a 6 pin for instance it can end up being a 2 and a half pin it'll just slide while still standing and of course the machine doesn't pick it up sometimes.

and to the other poster....Navy Blue lanes? I'd love to see a picture of them...
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

LOL there probably is? We know that this house hasn't replaced the pins in ages. Bunch of non-bowlers running a center. I guess that could be a factor??

Quote Originally Posted by JJKinGA View Post
    We have a house that has some navy blue lanes. You can see the glare of teh oil really easily on those lanes. I wish we could bowl league on them as it really is the best lanes i have ever seen for reading the oil.
    Wow, that sounds really cool. Love to see a pic of that!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast