Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The value of coaching, down the road.

Chats: 0

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by djp1080 View Post
    Tampabaybob, I read the stress ball technique article and have given it a try. Once I tried it, I liked it. I may keep doing it until I can't bowl any more. It's kept me in the moment and relaxed. I've been paying much more attention to the target on the lane as well and find that I'm no longer pulling my eyes to watch the ball down the lane. I pay better attention to where the ball rolls over my target and then view what happens to the motion of the ball later. My scores have improved for both strikes and spare shots. It works for me...
    Glad to hear it's working for you. I've tried it myself and it has helped sometimes, others not so much. One guy I bowl with tried it and swears by it. He's been shooting the lights out since trying it. Have had a few of my Junior Bowlers try it and right now I'd say it 50% successful. Good idea to pass on to good friends and team mates.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    He sounds like a clone of me. I have degenerative bone disease throughout the length of my spine, balance problems (I wear a magnetic bracelet that seems to help somewhat), a cataract on my right eye that is only waiting for me to get off of blood thinners in February for surgery, and I over-think EVERYTHING! Wait. Maybe he should quit bowling and become a bowling writer and coach! LOL
    You and Lou might make good doubles partners in a tournament !!
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Coaching is good for every level of play, from the person who's never thrown a ball to the pros.

I, for one, work with 2 people. One here in Vegas and the other is from Canada. Why Canada? Why somebody that's 2600+ miles away?

Well, when my Bearded Brother and I bowl together, he is very helpful with his tips and suggestions. And while we only get to bowl together when he comes here (not very often), there's always something we can take from each other. We are also talking about bowling in the US Open Championships together.

What makes these 2 guys great for me, is, we all use Brunswick family equipment. They know what to expect from what I have, and the little tweaks here and there are great.

It's all about getting better.
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    You and Lou might make good doubles partners in a tournament !!

LOL 2 bad backs and 2 good eye's between us......haha
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Cranker

Yes you're correct Rob... He could be a topic. Lou has a bad back and somewhat bad balance problems. First couple of times we bowled together during a summer senior session, he was bowling well. And I didn't have to use my 2x4 of understanding on him.
    And you are correct in saying he thinks too much on the approach. Wish I could get him to stop thinking.
    Lately I've been using the stress ball technique (from BTM) on several adult and juniors and on some it works very well and some hardly at all. I think I'll have to introduce it to Lou. It does tend to stop some of the thinking.

Shhhh....Don't mention my name in Vegas....lol...J/k.

This week after a game and a half I went with release early and get it out and it worked pretty good. My balance issue is gone, I do not worry about falling at all anymore. My looking at a spot on the lane issue still continues. Seems I look at my feet or the foul line and just know to get it out and trust it.
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    Shhhh....Don't mention my name in Vegas....lol...J/k.

This week after a game and a half I went with release early and get it out and it worked pretty good. My balance issue is gone, I do not worry about falling at all anymore. My looking at a spot on the lane issue still continues. Seems I look at my feet or the foul line and just know to get it out and trust it.
    Awww, come on now kill joy! LOL
    Southern Nevada USBC Board of Directors. DV8 - Thug Unruly, Vandal, Vandal Smash. Pitbull, Brunswick - Ultimate Nirvana, Fanatic BTU, Vintage Danger Zone, Plastic T Zone. Memberships- USBC Southern Nevada - http://www.sonvbowl.com, 9TapTour Las Vegas Region - http://www.9taptour.com, LaneSideReviews, #TeamLSR, #TeamBrunswick

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Awww, come on now kill joy! LOL

Hey I was the silent partner in the Rat Pack and I am a card counter....I know there's 52 in a deck...........lol

Gee Lou, I don't understand how you can count cards when you can only count to 21. Think about that for a second. LOL !!!
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 1VegasBowler View Post
    Coaching is good for every level of play, from the person who's never thrown a ball to the pros.

I, for one, work with 2 people. One here in Vegas and the other is from Canada. Why Canada? Why somebody that's 2600+ miles away?

Well, when my Bearded Brother and I bowl together, he is very helpful with his tips and suggestions. And while we only get to bowl together when he comes here (not very often), there's always something we can take from each other. We are also talking about bowling in the US Open Championships together.

What makes these 2 guys great for me, is, we all use Brunswick family equipment. They know what to expect from what I have, and the little tweaks here and there are great.

It's all about getting better.
    I switched over to all Brunswick about 1995 and have stayed with them pretty much since then. I had won a Roto Grip ball and really liked it as well especially after throwing a 300 with it a month after drilling it. Now have a couple of them in the arsenal. Those are the only 2 brands I recommend to my students.
    Bob

I switched over to all Brunswick about 1995 and have stayed with them pretty much since then. I had won a Roto Grip ball and really liked it as well especially after throwing a 300 with it a month after drilling it. Now have a couple of them in the arsenal. Those are the only 2 brands I recommend to my students.
    And that's just only part and parcel of what a good coach does, especially when the equipment matches up with the player.

I don't think I would make a good coach for adults because I don't know enough about other manufacturers equipment to make an intelligent recommendation, and that's not fair to those bowlers.

Just as there are coaches and PSO's that will only push one product, the bowlers will get stuck on one product as well. It doesn't matter to them that it may not fit their game. They're doing it because somebody else says there's nothing better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast