Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The value of coaching, down the road.

Default The value of coaching, down the road.

I found this year after the summer layoff that I was glad to get back to the lanes, however my game hasn't been going that well. My average is down 6 pins and threatening to go lower with the way I've been bowling.
    With some added stress in my life the scores have dropped even more in the past few weeks and I've been frustrated with my lack of ability to throw the ball.
    After a dismal outing last wed, (my first sub 500 series in years) I considered calling the coach for a lesson to help me, due to time conflicts I really couldn't find the time to get in right now. I recalled that in my prior lessons I had taken notes, now could I find them....yes I had transfered them to a word document and saved them posting the items he had me work on for each session and recording the issues he identified.
    As I reviewed the items it was apparent that I had slipped back into some of my old bad habits and maybe even added some new bad habits. I realized I was muscling the ball and setting it down short. I had slowly lost many of the items he changed to improve my game and drifted back to old habits without realizing it.
    So I reviewed what I should do through the use of my notes and went out to Friday morning league with a new plan. As I slowly started implementing the notes my first game was better than any game on wed, only a 181 but then I shot a 214, 200, 201 and even could have been a little better with weak finishes on a couple of the games.
    So coaching paid off, even just reviewing what I learned and renewing the proper way to do things.
    I still might setup another session but I printed out the notes and put them in my bag, just to go over them in the minutes before practice and try to keep on the right track and not fall back into bad habits again so easily.

Chats: 0

We are all creatures of habit. I have all kinds of notes in my bag from my coaching sessions. I have been working on different things lately and I still have to stop myself from the wrong setup, the wrong push away , the wrong swing, etc. Keep at it ! I may practice in the morning just because I can

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by foreverincamo View Post
    We are all creatures of habit. I have all kinds of notes in my bag from my coaching sessions. I have been working on different things lately and I still have to stop myself from the wrong setup, the wrong push away , the wrong swing, etc. Keep at it ! I may practice in the morning just because I can
    When I do bowl with my coach I do bowl better I think. When I'm alone or on league day I tend to try to remember too many things at once. IMO one thing should become a habit before trying to learn some thing else. Right now I think..

walk stright
    stay under ball
    release ball early, (since I tend to hold it to long and pull it)
    do not force the ball
    relax grip
    etc......

that's a lot to remember in 5 short steps to the foul line.....lol
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    When I do bowl with my coach I do bowl better I think. When I'm alone or on league day I tend to try to remember too many things at once. IMO one thing should become a habit before trying to learn some thing else. Right now I think..

walk stright
    stay under ball
    release ball early, (since I tend to hold it to long and pull it)
    do not force the ball
    relax grip
    etc......

that's a lot to remember in 5 short steps to the foul line.....lol
    I'm currently working on an article for BTM, tentatively called "Modern Coaching Dilemmas." This concerns dilemmas for both bowlers looking for coaching, and coaches who want to help bowlers. One of the most prevalent dilemmas for both coaches and bowlers is an honest exchange about the bowlers expectations and intentions in terms of long term goals and commitment. What you are trying to think during your approach is way too much to help you. If I have a student who is serious about improving his game and is committed to ongoing work, I will introduce one or two things per session; never more than two. If, on the other hand, the bowler wants a quick fix and never intends on seeing me again, I will often give him a laundry list of things to work on with instructions to pick one or two and work on them first, and then go on to others. With bowlers like this, I will give them a written list of items with instructions as to the order of implementation that will be most effective for them.

Right now, I would suggest that you pick two of the items on your list, preferably one that affects you at the start of the shot ("walk straight") and one that affects you at the end of your approach ("stay under the ball"). These are both things that you can easily do, and are both positives. Personally, I do not like any thoughts that contain negatives like "do not force the ball." When you get there, how about "just let it go"? It says the same thing in a positive way. I really question your thought of "release the ball early," as your timing can be affected by so many other things and can rarely be corrected by consciously thinking about when you release it: it just happens too fast to control it with your conscious mind.

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by RobLV1 View Post
    I'm currently working on an article for BTM, tentatively called "Modern Coaching Dilemmas." This concerns dilemmas for both bowlers looking for coaching, and coaches who want to help bowlers. One of the most prevalent dilemmas for both coaches and bowlers is an honest exchange about the bowlers expectations and intentions in terms of long term goals and commitment. What you are trying to think during your approach is way too much to help you. If I have a student who is serious about improving his game and is committed to ongoing work, I will introduce one or two things per session; never more than two. If, on the other hand, the bowler wants a quick fix and never intends on seeing me again, I will often give him a laundry list of things to work on with instructions to pick one or two and work on them first, and then go on to others. With bowlers like this, I will give them a written list of items with instructions as to the order of implementation that will be most effective for them.

Right now, I would suggest that you pick two of the items on your list, preferably one that affects you at the start of the shot ("walk straight") and one that affects you at the end of your approach ("stay under the ball"). These are both things that you can easily do, and are both positives. Personally, I do not like any thoughts that contain negatives like "do not force the ball." When you get there, how about "just let it go"? It says the same thing in a positive way. I really question your thought of "release the ball early," as your timing can be affected by so many other things and can rarely be corrected by consciously thinking about when you release it: it just happens too fast to control it with your conscious mind.
    maybe I'm wording this wrong, my coach (Tampabaybob.)does not at all give me a list of stuff to work on. He also tells me I am over thinking the game. I watch slow motion videos a lot and say oh now I see. So I do most research on my own. I took a 25 year layoff and can't believe how much the game has changed. i used to bowl a lot of action and averaged 190 in leagues (if I had Too) and better in money bowling. I came back 6 months ago thinking the game was the same and had high expectations but I got older, then I started learning about coverstocks and cors and patterns...etc.... Give me back my wood and plastic....haha
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    maybe I'm wording this wrong, my coach (Tampabaybob.)does not at all give me a list of stuff to work on. He also tells me I am over thinking the game. I watch slow motion videos a lot and say oh now I see. So I do most research on my own. I took a 25 year layoff and can't believe how much the game has changed. i used to bowl a lot of action and averaged 190 in leagues (if I had Too) and better in money bowling. I came back 6 months ago thinking the game was the same and had high expectations but I got older, then I started learning about coverstocks and cors and patterns...etc.... Give me back my wood and plastic....haha
    I'm getting together with Bob in the next few weeks. I have a hunch you will be one of the topics of conversation! LOL

Cranker

Today I started ok...ball on the right side of the lane, carrying light 1-3 hits....Second game 4th frame out of nowhere pulling the ball for 3 frames. Then I remembered what my coach said about releasing the ball at the foul line and not holding on to it too long.. it worked. 3rd game was a 190+..which is good for me..I was just happy to back in the 1-3 area...

Yes you're correct Rob... He could be a topic. Lou has a bad back and somewhat bad balance problems. First couple of times we bowled together during a summer senior session, he was bowling well. And I didn't have to use my 2x4 of understanding on him.
    And you are correct in saying he thinks too much on the approach. Wish I could get him to stop thinking.
    Lately I've been using the stress ball technique (from BTM) on several adult and juniors and on some it works very well and some hardly at all. I think I'll have to introduce it to Lou. It does tend to stop some of the thinking.
    Bob

"There truly is such a thing as a bad night and when these doomed evenings arrive you can't avoid them. But there's a bright side to this, it's that bad nights won't kill you, and sometimes will make you a little smarter."

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Yes you're correct Rob... He could be a topic. Lou has a bad back and somewhat bad balance problems. First couple of times we bowled together during a summer senior session, he was bowling well. And I didn't have to use my 2x4 of understanding on him.
    And you are correct in saying he thinks too much on the approach. Wish I could get him to stop thinking.
    Lately I've been using the stress ball technique (from BTM) on several adult and juniors and on some it works very well and some hardly at all. I think I'll have to introduce it to Lou. It does tend to stop some of the thinking.
    He sounds like a clone of me. I have degenerative bone disease throughout the length of my spine, balance problems (I wear a magnetic bracelet that seems to help somewhat), a cataract on my right eye that is only waiting for me to get off of blood thinners in February for surgery, and I over-think EVERYTHING! Wait. Maybe he should quit bowling and become a bowling writer and coach! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Tampabaybob View Post
    Tampabaybob, I read the stress ball technique article and have given it a try. Once I tried it, I liked it. I may keep doing it until I can't bowl any more. It's kept me in the moment and relaxed. I've been paying much more attention to the target on the lane as well and find that I'm no longer pulling my eyes to watch the ball down the lane. I pay better attention to where the ball rolls over my target and then view what happens to the motion of the ball later. My scores have improved for both strikes and spare shots. It works for me...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast