Thread: How to find instruction/coaching

Default How to find instruction/coaching

Greetings,

I'm a recently returned to bowling senior, having a great time but also quite frustrated. I'm attempting to do things "the right way" by reading, asking, watching videos, etc.

In bowling as with everything, just because someone is skilled at something doesn't mean they are good at teaching it. Quite often it's the opposite (just talk to golfers!).

I've gotten quite a bit of confusing and conflicting advice from those who claim to know, both in and out of pro shops. Being in business, knowing equipment and maybe even being good at drilling does not automatically make a good teacher/coach.

Long story short, I'm eager to find a good person to help me with the mechanics, fundamentals, finer points of the game and analyze my performance.

The USBC website offers a list of names but nothing more than that. I'm located in New England and am willing to travel a reasonable distance to meet with good instruction. If anyone has any advice as to someone to contact in my area it would be greatly appreciated. A PM or reply to post would work.

Thanks

Cranker
    Chats: 0

How close are you to Fairfield Ct? Buddies Pro Shop is there and I know a few of the guys there are Silver USBC coaches and I've never taken lessons from them but they are really nice guys.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    How close are you to Fairfield Ct? Buddies Pro Shop is there and I know a few of the guys there are Silver USBC coaches and I've never taken lessons from them but they are really nice guys.
    I just checked BOWL.com and they only list 6 bronze level coaches and one silver for the entire state, and the silver level coach is not as far as I know an employee of Buddies Pro shop. That said, both Tim and Chris are experienced coaches. I have coached with Chris in the local youth program and am certain that he could easily be certified as a silver level coach.

Most of the bronze level coaches do have some contact information on BOWL.com
    John

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Funny you should mention them. Although they are over 2.5 hours from my location, I travel quite a bit. Several months ago I spotted them while passing through Fairfield on unrelated business (who could resist a pro shop?). I stopped in and before I knew it I'd purchased a Brunswick Brainiac to accompany my Ebonite Gambreaker2 MVP! Wanted to try something different but that's a whole other story...

I agree, a really nice bunch of guys. I bought a ball, they bought me lunch! In the back of my mind, I thought I try them for instructions if I didn't get any other "closer" advice from others.

Thanks

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I just checked BOWL.com and they only list 6 bronze level coaches and one silver for the entire state, and the silver level coach is not as far as I know an employee of Buddies Pro shop. That said, both Tim and Chris are experienced coaches. I have coached with Chris in the local youth program and am certain that he could easily be certified as a silver level coach.

Most of the bronze level coaches do have some contact information on BOWL.com
    Ok I thought Tim was a Silver coach but I could be wrong. Either way, I agree that they would be experienced coaches.

Cranker

after a 25 year layoff and came back, I thought I could take my old ball and be as good as I was...WRONG! This game has changed so much I needed a coach and after 6 months still learning....
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner