Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The value of posting your shots!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonNJ View Post
    Thanks, I shot a 604 series, not a great night but pretty good for me. I spent the first 2 games thinking about posting my shot instead of actually posting my shot. The old paralysis by analysis and shot 192, 178. 3rd game I was able to turn the mind off a little and shot a 234. We'll see how I do tonight in my Thursday night league.
    It follows with the idea that most good bowlers don't go up to the approach and think about all the mechanics needed to throw the ball properly, they have established a routine with a couple of reminders that keep them on track, like you may have developed with just posting and not thinking about it too much. Then when you have that going and you are repeating the same shot you can make adjustments that are meaningful rather than adjustments that compensate for errors in delivery.

Cranker
    Chats: 0

I like when I can post a shot, especially since when I came back in March this year I was falling on my face. Posting let's me know that's not happening again
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 2

Balance is crucial! One thing I like to work on is a 1-step drill, where you take a one step approach, don't worry about where and what the ball does, but focus more on release and balance. I then take that back to a 3-step and do the same thing, and finally go to my full 5-step. Anytime I feel like I'm out of balance, I go down and work on these drills until it comes back.

This sounds like good advice. Thanks for sharing this.

The most important thing about posting your shot is being able to watch the ball roll over your target. If your head is moving you can't see if he ball rolled over it or missed left or right. Balance also means your under control of your body.
    Sometime speed is needed then balance is not as important.

Saw this thread before Christmas and have been working on it since. HUGE impact on my game. I'm a 'careful' type, which makes me tentative in athletic pursuits, which is exactly what we don't want in a bowling delivery. By moving my concentration to the finish of the shot, it's helped me to not over-control the 'body' of the shot, which has helped me stay looser and more relaxed, and thus improved the overall quality of my delivery. I've easily added 30 pins to my average by simply making the conscious effort to post my shots. It'll take several weeks for this to get reflected in my league average, but it has definitely made an immediate improvement in my game. I can absolutely divide my shots between good or bad by noting which ones I posted successfully...The posted ones are always the good ones. Thanks to you all for this incredibly useful advice!

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Saw this thread before Christmas and have been working on it since. HUGE impact on my game. I'm a 'careful' type, which makes me tentative in athletic pursuits, which is exactly what we don't want in a bowling delivery. By moving my concentration to the finish of the shot, it's helped me to not over-control the 'body' of the shot, which has helped me stay looser and more relaxed, and thus improved the overall quality of my delivery. I've easily added 30 pins to my average by simply making the conscious effort to post my shots. It'll take several weeks for this to get reflected in my league average, but it has definitely made an immediate improvement in my game. I can absolutely divide my shots between good or bad by noting which ones I posted successfully...The posted ones are always the good ones. Thanks to you all for this incredibly useful advice!
    Awesome to hear that this thread helped.

The posting of my shots have got better now that my hip replacement is all healed and I am confident in it now during bowling. I find myself in balance on every shot and have better leverage on each shot. So I stay posted until my ball hits the pins.
    Arsenal: Raw Hammer Orange/Black Hybrid 14lbs, Blue Hammer urethane 14lbs, Columbia 300 Lava Ball Plastic 14lbs, Highest scratch series 710 Bowling 38 years Never hit that 300 game. Highest game 276, had 11 strikes and one spare in the middle of that game.

Someone give me a definition of "posting up". Pretty sure I know what it is but please indulge me.

Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Chats: 554

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
    Someone give me a definition of "posting up". Pretty sure I know what it is but please indulge me.
    "Posting your shot" is were you hold your finish position until the ball hits the pins. If the shot was delivered properly you will have no problem maintaining this balanced posture.

Last edited by bowl1820; 03-09-2017 at 10:15 PM.

Right handed Stroker, high track ,about 13 degree axis tilt. PAP is located 5 9/16” over 1 3/4” up.Speed ave. about 14 mph at the pins. Medium rev’s.High Game 300, High series 798

"Talent without training is nothing." Luke Skywalker

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast