Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The value of posting your shots!

Cranker
    Chats: 0

Default The value of posting your shots!

I've been working on posting my shot and watching the ball travel down the lane and my practice session the Monday before it just clicked. I was concentrating on staying balanced at the foul line and my accuracy went way up. I wasn't really keeping score but I was consistently hitting my mark and getting long strings of strikes. Then I followed that up on my Wednesday Mixed league with a 662 series and last night I did another practice session and although it doesn't count, I would have had my first 700 series and had a 5 game total of 1116. Needless to say I'm really looking forward to my league on Weds.

Posting your shot is the easiest way of making sure your timing is correct for the simple reason that, if your timing is off, posting the shot is impossible. A couple of years ago I was watching the US Senior Open practice session when one of the bowlers who was familiar with my writing asked me for some help with his game. As this was the day before the tournament was to begin, I didn't want to tell him too much to confuse him, so I simply stated that I saw a problem with his timing, and rather than try to "fix" it at that late date, I recommended that he just concentrate on posting every single shot. Not only did he end up making the cut to the top 24, he finished ahead of some of the top bowlers on the PBA50 Tour. Posting shots works... if you can be disciplined enough to do it!

Posting shot is something I did consistently in the past. Doing this allowed me to actually stay focus on the spot/target I'm looking at for second or two till my ball passes over, or hit that target.

this year has been a struggle physically and mentally. I may need to go and have another visit with the Bakes.....

Cranker

Rob you're probably right about the timing, my timing when I post my shot does seem to be better and its' really freed up my arm swing. I know lots of articles and tips I read recommend posting your shot but man has it made a dramatic improvement to my game. I wished I had focused on that sooner.

SandBagger
    Chats: 26

most good bowlers post their shot
    with that being said, posting your shot is not as important as having a repeatable delivery
    A good push away/timing trigger, middle steps, drive step, slide, and follow through should all be something you can focus on during practice to build good muscle memory and repeatably.

you are far ahead of the curve by realizing that you need to practice, keep it up and good luck in the future
    Beyond Revs Pro Shop Staffer. West Valley and Riverton, Utah.
    I am a proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling Forums. 900Global Inception DCT, Inception Pearl, Honey Badger, Covert Ops, Special Ops, Desert Ops Brunswick Green Quantum Radical Tremendous

Geez. Another thing to work on. Where will I find the time. Thanks for the tip. It sounds like good advice and probably more worth working on than many other things I have tired.

Bowling Guru
    Chats: 13

Quote Originally Posted by LyalC52 View Post
    most good bowlers post their shot
    with that being said, posting your shot is not as important as having a repeatable delivery
    A good push away/timing trigger, middle steps, drive step, slide, and follow through should all be something you can focus on during practice to build good muscle memory and repeatably.

you are far ahead of the curve by realizing that you need to practice, keep it up and good luck in the future
    As I understand it, being able to post your shot is really a symptom that your timing is right and that your swing is close enough to your body. With most of the kids I coach, not being able to post the shot is because they were rushing to the line. With a couple it has been from the ball being a good 8" to 10" further right from their ankles at the bottom of the swing than it should be.

I don't understand why, but there is anecdotal evidence that some bowlers can, when told to post the shot, just do it. Somehow they can subconsciously fix the underlying cause by focusing on the finish position.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by J Anderson View Post
    I don't understand why, but there is anecdotal evidence that some bowlers can, when told to post the shot, just do it. Somehow they can subconsciously fix the underlying cause by focusing on the finish position.
    I think that it's a matter of the bowler's proficiency and understanding of the game (and his/her body). I'm a great believer in author Tim Galloway's (The Inner Game of Tennis, and The Inner Game of Golf) viewpoint that our bodies already know how to do things if we just get the little voice in our heads to shut up long enough to let it. Focusing on posting the shot simply gives the body the opportunity to correct small inconsistencies in timing rather than focus on the culprits that cause them like a late push away, or too long of a first step.
    Last edited by bowl1820; 12-15-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: fix quote tags

Nice bowling, looks like you've found one of the key points that works to keep you consistent and on target, good luck in league play !

Cranker

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Nice bowling, looks like you've found one of the key points that works to keep you consistent and on target, good luck in league play !
    Thanks, I shot a 604 series, not a great night but pretty good for me. I spent the first 2 games thinking about posting my shot instead of actually posting my shot. The old paralysis by analysis and shot 192, 178. 3rd game I was able to turn the mind off a little and shot a 234. We'll see how I do tonight in my Thursday night league.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast