Thread: Hello from NorCal

Default Hello from NorCal

I signed up a year ago and forgot about this site (I'm known for procrastinating :P) but I've been improving my game and looking around to see what more I can learn to further improve my game.

I started bowling in 2013 with short leagues and joined my first long league in 2015 and have loved everything about bowling. From improving my scores to making friends out on the lanes.

I started as a 120 average bowler and then got my own ball and got my average up to 130. Redrilled my ball to finger tip and pushed my average to 150. Then some other bowlers starting giving me extra balls or balls they no longer used and managed to get my average up to 160.

I got a lesson in 2015 at the National Bowling Stadium in Reno and learned so much about my approach. Another new ball and a new approach pushed my average to 176. This year I went back to Reno and got another lesson. Worked on some more mechanics and had the coach pick out a ball for me based on my style of bowling (I guess I would consider my style to be a stroker). He picked out a Storm IQ Tour and I have been loving that ball very much. I worked on my game all summer long and really started seeing a difference.

My current average in league is 199 and I feel like I'm getting so close to my goal of having a 200 average in league.

Probably the most important thing I have learned is that in order to get better I have to bowl at least twice a week. I'm currently in two leagues but when that isn't the case, I have to make sure I practice at least one other time during the week. Once a week is not enough and I start to notice a dip in my performance.

I just bought shoes that have grip on right show and a slide on the left show (I'm right handed) and I've been told that is a good investment. I've been using universal shoes.

Looking forward to reading up on more information on these boards and if anyone has any questions for me, fire away!

--The Procrastinator

Welcome back, this is a great place to learn some things to help your game, good luck !

Chats: 0

Welcome, I am thinking of taking a lesson, do you feel they made a big difference?
    Thanks

Cranker

wow great improvements and great lesson on how to get better little by little. So you never bowled before 2013? If so that's great, it is so much harder for us oldtimers that used to bowl and come back after 25 years or so. You would not believe how much the game and equipment has changed and at least for me old habits are hard to break....

Stormtex,,,Yes for sure a few sessions with a coach helps a lot, tampabaybob from here is my coach and has taught me a lot. Problem with me is I don't listen.... as I said old habits
    “There’s nothing like throwing a 16lb 8.5 inch sphere at 10 3.5lb wooden objects spaced 12 inches apart and having them all hit each other” proud member of Bowlingboards.com bowling forums and ball contest winner

Chats: 10

Welcome back! This is a great place to learn and share all things bowling.
    In my bag: Roto Grip UFO, Roto Grip Hyper Cell Fused and Roto Grip Hustle hyb

League High Series: 745 (12/23/19) High Game: 300 (11/23/15)

Proud member of BowlingBoards.com

Ringer

Welcome Back!!

Chats: 55

Welcome to the Boards...hope you enjoy and participate

Quote Originally Posted by LOUVIT View Post
    wow great improvements and great lesson on how to get better little by little. So you never bowled before 2013? If so that's great, it is so much harder for us oldtimers that used to bowl and come back after 25 years or so. You would not believe how much the game and equipment has changed and at least for me old habits are hard to break....

Stormtex,,,Yes for sure a few sessions with a coach helps a lot, tampabaybob from here is my coach and has taught me a lot. Problem with me is I don't listen.... as I said old habits
    So true on the old habits. If I was close enough to TampaBayBob I sure would make sure I listened! I think you are probably listening, just not connecting the brain and the body together.
    Proud member of bowlingboards.com bowling forums & winner of bowling ball give-away!
    High Series - 704; High Game - 290 (a long time ago) Current Average - 150